Charging Amps Wacked

Guest martij8

Well, I looked at a ton of stuff here on this subject, but I guess I just need some confirmation.

I've got a '98 which has died the last few times I rode. I replaced the battery, like so many other poor souls, and problem didn't go away. So, I checked the voltage:

12.8 with key off

12.4 - 12.5 at idle

14ish at 2000 rpm, and down hill from there

under 13v at 5000rpm with high beam on.

So obviously the battery is not getting the juice back. I checked connections on the R/R, Stator, and ground wires. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help. It looks like these electrical issues are fairly common.

• Member Contributer

Symptoms of classic R/R failure.

If it is the original 98 R/R, it is time to pick up a new and improved version from a dealer.

I got a good deal from RonAyers.com Others have recommended service Honda in CA.

Search the forums and you'll find the method to test the R/R... but I'll bet $$$ to doughnuts, a new R/R and cleaned & greased connectors will correct your issue.

Easy job.

+1.gif

most likely you need a new R/R, as well as beefing up the wires from the R/R to the battery to help prevent this in the future. Newer Honda units are good, Ricks sells a comparable replacement for much less.

• Member Contributer
+1.gif

most likely you need a new R/R, as well as beefing up the wires from the R/R to the battery to help prevent this in the future. Newer Honda units are good, Ricks sells a comparable replacement for much less.

Get a VFRness from Tightwad while you're at it.

Archived