Minor Tail Chop On A 5th Gen

AvalonRacing

• Member Contributer

I decided that I just couldn't take the long rear fender on my 5th gen but I didn't want to risk a ticket or look like a squid by taking the whole fender off and jamming the plate up and over the back wheel.

The solution: On ebay I got some little LED lights, that are also bolts to retain the license plate (about $20US) and then with the help of my OCD friend (actually he did pretty much everything) did the chop.

We sketched out the the part of the plate that we wanted to cut with a silver Sharpie, used a Dremel to do the cutting, sanded the rough edges and soldered the new lights on. It looks good, is legal and completed in an hour.

Now, I just have to clean my dirty chain and wheels!

gallery_6707_3017_40259.jpg

tail chop1.jpg

gallery_6707_3017_13194.jpg

IMG_0299.jpg

Guest MachineBuilder

Looks good! :fing02:

Even easier (don't have to source LED-bolts) is to use the OEM licence plate light, it will mount where the red reflector is above the plate. (it's real easy)

There's threads here on it.

Don't mind the rear end offset (this machine has been replaced), only pic I had of the plate mount area.

gallery_7079_2026_50788.jpg

17.Aug.06 2000 VFR-A 007small.JPG

Edited by MachineBuilder

• Member Contributer

I was wondering if I could use the stock light but I opted for the bolts. Of course I didn't have any small connectors around when we did the job so I need to put them in if I want to change the tag.

Wow, that was one twisted rear. Glad that your bike has been updated.

Guest musiccity740

that looks good. I cut mine even with the tail section fairing for an even tighter fit. installed white LEDs over the plate and done deal.

I was wondering if I could use the stock light but I opted for the bolts.

On my 2000 I cut off everything except just enough to mount the plate, then cut a small window box(or drill holes) in the underside of the tail light to allow enough of light to hit the tag and be legal. Then glued or silicon a clear piece of plastic over the hole! :blush:

The lights (tail/brake) are already there you just need to let some clear light hit the plate. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I did something similar. I removed more of the fender and re-mounted the plate light where the reflector is. Some minor drilling is required but easy to do.

• Member Contributer
I was wondering if I could use the stock light but I opted for the bolts.

On my 2000 I cut off everything except just enough to mount the plate, then cut a small window box(or drill holes) in the underside of the tail light to allow enough of light to hit the tag and be legal. Then glued or silicon a clear piece of plastic over the hole! :fing02:

The lights (tail/brake) are already there you just need to let some clear light hit the plate. :rolleyes:

Sweet idea BR. And as an added safety your tag gets bright under braking too. :fing02: