Sixth Gen Electrical Problem-help

Guest Joe62

Several weeks ago the engine on my bike stopped, a buzzing sound came from under the front fairing and the headlights and front turn signals went off. I've spliced a wire from the green ground wire to the frame, I've replaced the old 30 amp fuse wire, which was fried, with a 12 gauge wire and I connected the black sensing wire directly to the positive lead of the battery. 8 of the large gauge wires running through the blue connector on the lefthand side have been spliced with single connectors. Now the engine runs well and the voltage at idle up to 3000 rpm is 14.3 volts. The relays and their connections under the front fairing are fine. Unfortunately the buzzing sound from the low beam relay is still present and the headlights and front turn signals don't work. I live in Italy and Honda Italy has not had a recall to replace the front subharness. Does anyone know how I can find out which wire/connection is creating this problem and how I can solve it? Thanks

Did you splice both sides of the blue connector? I could be you missed the actual ground side.

%201.gif

Normally the green ground wire at the blue connector is the only problem in 99% on the bikes affected.

How did you perform the ground wire fix? Did you hook both sides together and then ground them to the frame? :unsure:

The front half is the one that would need the ground.

I would also go to our "Downloads" section and download the Honda Recall letter there that applies to most of North America and other parts of the World and ask why it's NOT being addressed in Italy!

Recall:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...amp;showfile=51

Here's the blue connector ground wire thread:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=34394

And here is the main 6th gen elec. problem thread:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18560

Yes, I hooked both sides together with a connector and then grounded the wire to the frame on the lower part closer to the engine. I also called Honda Italy about the recall in the US and Canada and they said no such recall exists in Italy. In fact, Honda Italy claimed that VFRs sold in Italy are different from those sold in the US, so they couldn't have the same problem.

Do you know where the green ground wire is normally grounded? Is it grounded somewhere within the front subharness?

Do you know where the green ground wire is normally grounded? Is it grounded somewhere within the front subharness?

That green wire in the blue connector IS the ground for the front sub-harness! The Recall harness eliminates that! There is only ONE ground point on the frame for the entire harness and it's under the seat near the tank.

There is a grounding block in the Main harness about a foot(12") down from the blue connector towards the engine, it contains most of the green ground leads from throughout the bike and at least one member has had a problem(melting) at that point.

I think you'll find mention in the "Vtec Elec.Problems" thread or in a separate one, but you'll have to search for that.

Archived