Fuel Tank Insulation Benefits?

Guest mlwest

Question

Guest mlwest

The other day I was watching Miguel Duhamel right before the start of a race and he removed what appeared to be an insulating blanket just before the lights went out.

As hot as my sixth gen runs on a warm summer day I wonder if there would be any benefit from adding the right insulation to the underside of the tank.

We all know internal combustion engines generate more HP when the fuel is cold but it would be very interesting to know if anyone has tried adding some heat barrier to their tanks.

Anyone give this a try?

11 answers to this question

The other day I was watching Miguel Duhamel right before the start of a race and he removed what appeared to be an insulating blanket just before the lights went out.

As hot as my sixth gen runs on a warm summer day I wonder if there would be any benefit from adding the right insulation to the underside of the tank.

We all know internal combustion engines generate more HP when the fuel is cold but it would be very interesting to know if anyone has tried adding some heat barrier to their tanks.

Anyone give this a try?

Not sure if the VFR has a return line from the fuel rail to the tank or not?

If it does. Then adding insulation would be beneficial but minimal at best. For general riding or comuting anyway.

Yes you are right cool or cold fuel AND AIR INTAKE prevent precombustion.

If the VFR doesnt have a return line to the tank then it may ne beneficial but your only talking 1 or 2 hp maybe at best..

Although I have never tried it and not sure if anyone has actual stats I wouldnt think it would have substantial benefits to over come the time or cost to invent or install.

Just My opinion.. Although I reseve the right to be totally wrong..

6th Gen VFR's do have a fuel return line to the tank. My ST1300 does also. Therefore, I have to assume that all fuel injected Hondas have a fuel return line to the tank. Otherwise you'd have to have some sort of mechanism to allow excess fuel to spill onto the ground. Don't think EPD would be cool with that. Besides, might make your tires a tad slippery.

6th Gen VFR's do have a fuel return line to the tank. My ST1300 does also. Therefore, I have to assume that all fuel injected Hondas have a fuel return line to the tank. Otherwise you'd have to have some sort of mechanism to allow excess fuel to spill onto the ground. Don't think EPD would be cool with that. Besides, might make your tires a tad slippery.

Sorry Havent worked on fuel injection in a long time (late 80's cars) but there all generally the same principal..

My reason for the mention of the return line is the fuel will get heated and recirculated as it passes thru the fuel rail and returns to the tank.. So just insulating under the tank and or the lines wont do much good After riding a while..

Like I said though, Thats just My opinion..

What got me onto this topic is that when I park the VFR on a hot summer day in my garage the damned tank gets REALLY hot - almost to the point of not being able to touch the thing.

That can't be a good thing for the fuel to be that warm - I wouldn't be surprised that it has a lot to do with the surging etc that a lot of the 6th gens seem to experience.

I'm going to see if I can find some kind of high temp insulation, pull my tank and give it a try.

I'll gather some data and post it up.

I have absolutely nothing to add that's on topic but, like the VFR I'm riding, I love the feel of a cold tank of gas on my legs on a hot summer day.

It makes sense that the tank would get warmer sitting still (there's no air flow, now fan running, no coolant circulating). When I park mine all I worry about is the exhaust. . . "Don't touch that kids, it's HOT!" They probably won't burn themselves on the tank. :biggrin:

I didn't know there was a return line to the tank and I've had mine off several times. I now there's a vent line but didn't know about the fuel return line. I guess that's why I hang out here, learn something everyday.

What got me onto this topic is that when I park the VFR on a hot summer day in my garage the damned tank gets REALLY hot - almost to the point of not being able to touch the thing.

That can't be a good thing for the fuel to be that warm - I wouldn't be surprised that it has a lot to do with the surging etc that a lot of the 6th gens seem to experience.

I'm going to see if I can find some kind of high temp insulation, pull my tank and give it a try.

I'll gather some data and post it up.

This Stuff may help you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-HONDA-S...d=p4506.c0.m245

I believe the reasoning behind that is the fuel is so volitile that the "good" stuff will evaporate off before the race starts. It won't help your bike in the least bit.

Thanks for the link bayarearider - now all I have to do is talk the wife into letting me use her cooking thermometer to measure fuel temps and I'll have some real data!

• Member Contributer

There's already some (a little) insulation under the tank. I doubt adding more would do any real good, unless you want a Jiffy Pop bike like in the eBay ad. :unsure:

Don't know if they are trying to apply this to the GP bike, but in theory cool fuel has more molecules per unit of volume, and therefore more energy finds it's way into the motor. Drag cars often go one step further by actually passing the fuel lines through cans or coolers of ice and water. In the quest for every ounce of performance, there may be some advantage to insulating the tank, but I somehow doubt it would be worth the hassle on our street bikes.

Well, I don't know if it would help much or not, but it would certainly not hurt performance to have some sort of heat insulation on both the outside of the airbox and the bottom of the tank.

Something like one of the newer spray on ceramic coatings.

that way heat radiating up away from the motor would not get as much opportunity to heat the air in the airbox or the fuel in the tank.

If I knew where to source the coatings, I would try painting it on the bottom of the fuel tank on my VFR (it has to come off to get the dent in the top popped back out.)

Archived