Video Camera Mount

JayWalker

Question

• Member Contributer

I know by the stellar ride reports here, many of you many different devices mount in many different location on the bike. I'm looking for ideas, advice, and/or words of caution on mounting the ol family DVD camcorder to my bike. I don't really want to mount it to my handle bars. I looked at RAM Mount website, but it was rather vauge on what I actually need. Any input is greatly appreciated.

14 answers to this question

I bought an adjustable tank mount on ebay for $45, it works perfect on my CBR, on the VFR I have to put a block under the camera and use a longer bolt to shoot through the screen.

I use a dvd camcorder and bullet cam set up. I mount the bullet cam on the forks using the fender lower bolt. I like the perspective it gives and you only see a bit of the front tire in the picture.

This setup worked good for a couple of rides, then, I was out for a ride, went over some railway tracks and that is where camcorder stopped working. I took it to the camera shop and he told me that parts inside where probably shifted and out of alignment and would be fairly expensive to fix. I've opted not to fix it and am now looking for a new camcorder.

• Member Contributer
I use a dvd camcorder and bullet cam set up. I mount the bullet cam on the forks using the fender lower bolt. I like the perspective it gives and you only see a bit of the front tire in the picture.

This setup worked good for a couple of rides, then, I was out for a ride, went over some railway tracks and that is where camcorder stopped working. I took it to the camera shop and he told me that parts inside where probably shifted and out of alignment and would be fairly expensive to fix. I've opted not to fix it and am now looking for a new camcorder.

I wondered if the camera could handle the shock and vibration. Is there anything that can be done to absorb this?

I'd think twice about mounting a DVD recorder on the bike unless you devise some sort of suspension system. DVD recorders are more sensitive to shock than conventional tape recorders.

I have a tank mounted camcorder, do a search on ebay, you will find them new from the mfg. It works fine for shooting thru the shield, as long as I don't have the smoked screen on. I use a miniDV tape system though. one of these days I will put up a video...

• Member Contributer
I'd think twice about mounting a DVD recorder on the bike unless you devise some sort of suspension system. DVD recorders are more sensitive to shock than conventional tape recorders.

Point taken. I guess I will see if I can pick up and older 8mm or similar recorder at a pawnshop. That way if it gets trashed, I won't be without a recorder to document b-days and the such. So all I need to mount that would be a universal type mount?

• Member Contributer

I highly advise against mounting a DVD camcorder directly to the bike. The vibrations will screw it up. I had a cheap DV tape camera early on and it worked great on the bike. When it got to the end of its life, I replaced it with a HDD camera. That thing is aweful. Just the vibrations from idling will send an error.

I then picked up a Motocom DSR100 setup. It's a HDD recorder, but with a bullet camera and all the mounting hardware you can think of. The microphone is REALLY sensitive, but other than that, I love it. You can pick a DSR100 up on Ebay for less than $200. Check out the Julian ride report in the Ride Planning-West forum. The video is off of the DSR100.

Couple of things on the RAM mounts.... I have used a RAM mount compression fitting that goes down into the yoke tube, and also I use a GoPro Camera which comes with assorted bases that the camera setup clips into. It's best when mounted to a part of the frame or upper front shocks. Not on fairings or anyother plastic. The best setup I had was a RAM 1" ball with nothing more than a bit of metal with a 5/8" hole in it. I put one of the triple's pinch bolts (on my Hawk) through this and mounted my Canon S3 IS to this and go great footage. I want to try using this on one of the spots where the rear grab handles attach under the seat. Get a view either rearward or froward pas the driver. Might be cool.

I used a horn bracket off a 1600 Roadstar that my friend had laying around. Zap strapped and taped it to the rear footpeg of the bike. Combined with my little Olympus 1030SW I have been getting great ride footage.

• Member Contributer
maybe not the high end video your looking for but maybe a good start for the money. kr0nus and SGVridgerunner both rented them at their track day.

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&...&tier2=3157

Interesting, for better vid quality this Canon is flash based -- no moving parts.

• Member Contributer
maybe not the high end video your looking for but maybe a good start for the money. kr0nus and SGVridgerunner both rented them at their track day.

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&...&tier2=3157

Interesting, for better vid quality this Canon is flash based -- no moving parts.

yeah, at $309.95 compared to $179.99 it better be better!

Archived