No Turn Signals, No Horn All Of The Sudden

Guest Logicus

Guest Logicus

So after riding the other day, I pull into town to find my turn signals don't work. I check the fuse and it's ok. For kicks, I try the horn and it doesn't work. So I'm assuming something is wrong within the left handlebar switch housing?? Anyone ever had this happen?

Thanks

• Member Contributer

Bump.

I would tear apart the switch housing, clean, dielec., and test. Worse comes to worse, that will be known good.

• Member Contributer

It is unlikely that both switches (horn and turn signals) went bad at the same time. First things I would check:

- the fuse and its wiring (do you have +12V on both sides of the fuse?)

- 9-pin connector to the handlebar switch

The wiring diagram (part of the service manual, downloadable from this website) will help you a lot if you have some knowledge of electricity. If you don't, friendly VFRD folks here will walk you through.

• Member Contributer

I know some one has a better starting point, than me.

Don't let me down, folks,....................

LOL.

• Member Contributer

Silly as it may sound, be sure you are checking the correct fuse.

If the fuse that feeds the signals and the horn is blown, then look at the wires that activate the brake light at the front brake lever ( I'll bet your brake light is not working either) and be sure that the insulation on the two plug in connectors to the lever switch hasn't been worn through.

This happened to my bike and it blew the fuse intermittently and it took a reply from our own member RADAR to guide me to the solution. This may be your problem too.

It was near impossible to see the very small pin-hole in the insulation but it was certainly there and caused me a few weeks of grief and a good number of fuses.

Huh. Well, you're right... the brake light doesn't work; in fact, when you replace the "horn/turn signal' fuse, and press either the rear or front brake lever, it blows the fuse... been looking, can't find anything worn yet... still lookin.....

this is gonna be fun, isn't it?

Silly as it may sound, be sure you are checking the correct fuse.

If the fuse that feeds the signals and the horn is blown, then look at the wires that activate the brake light at the front brake lever ( I'll bet your brake light is not working either) and be sure that the insulation on the two plug in connectors to the lever switch hasn't been worn through.

This happened to my bike and it blew the fuse intermittently and it took a reply from our own member RADAR to guide me to the solution. This may be your problem too.

It was near impossible to see the very small pin-hole in the insulation but it was certainly there and caused me a few weeks of grief and a good number of fuses.

OK. So I pulled apart the handlebar switch and followed the leads as far as possible up front. Also pulled apart the rear cowl/lights assembly and freakin' everything looks brand new! Not a sign of wear anywhere, nor are there any spots showing where something might be touching and causing the short.

Sigh. I guess, I'll start pulling the rest of the front fairings off to get at the wires and follow them.

One day of riding missed out on. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

The plug in leads going into the handlebar switch on the right side were the culprit on mine. The pinhole in the insulation could almost not be seen. Be sure you have checked them completely.

I did all the things you described also before finding it. Pull the leads off the switch as a test. If the fuse doesn't blow, tape both of them before putting them back on.

The plug in leads going into the handlebar switch on the right side were the culprit on mine. The pinhole in the insulation could almost not be seen. Be sure you have checked them completely.

I did all the things you described also before finding it. Pull the leads off the switch as a test. If the fuse doesn't blow, tape both of them before putting them back on.

I had the same problem and the same resolution as Intaceptor. I just happened to find it independently. I don't think I ever did "see" the hole causing the short. But separating/taping did the trick and it's been working for a year since then. I'll bet a dollar to a donut that the problem is very near the handlebar. Anyway, I'd suggest focusing on that area before you start pulling fairings, etc.

Sounds like a dead short . Wires are rubbing the frame, metal, or other wires. Trace the wires, to try and find the bad place.

Remember to test a fuse you cant just look at it. You have to make sure there power on both sides, with key on. A simple test light is fine.

• Member Contributer

So, applying either front or rear brake blows the fuse... That tells me that both of the brake switches are most likely GOOD. The short is either in the wiring harness (unlikely), or in the lightbulb socket (more likely), or in one of the lightbulbs itself (quite likely). Remove both brake lightbulbs and see if the fuse still blows.

EDIT. Correction: a wire to the front brake switch could be shorted to the ground, too - as IntAceptor suggested. But the lightbulbs are much easier to check, so that's what I would do first.

• Member Contributer

I also once had a short in a bulb. The filament broke and dropped down in a manner that caused a low resistance short that blew fuses. The filament in the bulb was tougher than the fuse link and something had to give. In this case it was the fuse.

Look there too.

Ha!

Well, turns out, the switch that is attached to the brake lever has two conductors going to it, and they were pressed together against the brake fluid reservoir. Woohoo!

Oh well, at least I learned how to pull the rear cowl, disassemble the rear light assembly :angry: , left handlebar switch assembly :blink: (getting the choke cable back in was a pain for some reason), and now the right handlebar switch assembly :ohmy: and brake lever apart :huh: and reassemble :dry: ! Anyway, now I'll be back out riding on Tuesday! :wheel:

Thanks for the input everyone. I now know a little more about the vfr's superfluous wiring harness than I did before! :wheel:

• Member Contributer
Ha!

Well, turns out, the switch that is attached to the brake lever has two conductors going to it, and they were pressed together against the brake fluid reservoir. Woohoo!

Atsa what I was aiming at for you to test from the get go, glad you found it. :wheel:

Archived