Sunday Morning Ride Through Some Of The Backroads Of Ky

Guest Logicus

Guest Logicus

IMG_2998trimmedandcropped.jpg

Here's a little ride report I'm happy to be able to post. Hawk_Jr (from HawkGFroum.com) sent me an email saying he was meeting up with a couple of guys this (Sunday) morning if I was interested. Well, turned out I was able and we had a great Sunday Morning Ride. The group included Mike and Dick who were both on some pretty modded SV650s, Jason on a new SV650, Rob (aka Hawk_Jr) on his sleek lookin' and very nice sounding '88 Hawk, and me on my VFR750.

We left and just a couple of turns into the first stretch I realized the two SV650 guys were VERY familiar with these routes. Wow. Rob, Jason, and myself stayed pretty much together throughout most of the ride, consistently finding Mike and Dick waiting for us at every stop. In fact, we had a little Hayabusa intrusion for the first part of Route 22 and I'd say he REALLY knows the road, cause I never saw a 'busa move through the turns like that. After a 15-20 mile ride on 22, we came to a bank parking lot in the middle of "town" to find Mike, Dick, and the 'busa guy off their bikes, helmets off, smoking cigarettes. Good stuff. I really wish I'd taken a lot more pics, especially of everyone's bikes.

Following behind Rob on his Hawk...

IMG_2991trimmedandcropped.jpg

Aaaahhhh!!! Surrounded by SV650's!!! wink.gif

sv650sallaround.jpg

Behind one of the SV650 guys who is behind Rob..

freezeframeshot1.jpg

We took 36 to 22 and followed those to 227, which was made nice and smooth recently with a nice coat of blacktop. This video is taken riding back up 227 after taking a small break and turning around to take 227 back up to 607. Here's a video from some of the trip back up 227. I am behind one of the SV650 guys who is behind Rob on his Hawk. Fun ride with lots of great curves....

We turned off of 227 and onto 607 and traveled to Corinth for lunch at a little Diner there. Here's some of the trip up 607 same formation as in the last video. Great curves here as well... lots of long sweepers and even some fast tight turns too. I wish the youtube compression did at least some justice to the videos, but, here goes...

We really had a great ride with a couple of well placed road hazards including ducks wandering across the road, piles of horse crap, and of course no ride is complete without travelling at least a couple of miles behind a freakin' water truck! Everyone was great and a good group to ride with. Looking forward to the next time!

• Member Contributer

I am surprised our paths did not cross some time during the day. I was on some of those same roads Sunday and had stopped in Falmouth for some water while riding 22, hoping to find some other riders to hook up with. Also stopped in Williamstown on the corner of 25 and 22 on the way back. Spotted a red VFR at the gas station on the corner of 25 and 36 as I was on my way up that morning. Could that have been you?

For what it's worth, I live just a few miles west of Georgetown and 227 is about 10 minutes from my house.

• Member Contributer

Great Stuff..............THANKS for sharing it. Great on-board pics, been playing with that myself lately......... :fing02:

I am surprised our paths did not cross some time during the day. I was on some of those same roads Sunday and had stopped in Falmouth for some water while riding 22, hoping to find some other riders to hook up with. Also stopped in Williamstown on the corner of 25 and 22 on the way back. Spotted a red VFR at the gas station on the corner of 25 and 36 as I was on my way up that morning. Could that have been you?

For what it's worth, I live just a few miles west of Georgetown and 227 is about 10 minutes from my house.

As a matter of fact, it probably was. We stopped for a couple of the guys to gas up - was probably 10-ish in the am, maybe earlier or little later. We had actually stopped for about a 15-20 minute rest at the bank - across the street from the court house, I think, at the intersection of 22 and 25. I did see a yellow VFR go by heading north on 25 - was wondering if it was anyone on here. As we sat at the bank, a 4some stopped by getting ready to take 22 east out of there - a CBR1000R, R1, SuperChicken, and a GSX1000R. Bet that was fun to be part of.

As slow as I rode, the entire day was spent at much faster speeds than I'd really ridden too much before... felt comfy as hell doing it, though... Only had one real "oh shit" moment on south 17 - those damn disappearing decreasing-radius left handers wink.gif.

227 is pretty awesome now, with the new topping! We took it north out of Georgetown one time and it was so broken up and gravelly, I dont think I did much over 40 mph on it. Different story now!

Apparently these SV650 guys, Mike and Dick, do a similar ride out of the Shell gas station on AA Hwy near I-275 at 8:30 every Sunday morning. I work some weird schedules, but I'm, definitely gonna set it up so I can get more of these rides in! I split from the pack near Mt. Olivet, and rode home towards Maysville and was home by about 2:30pm. just over 200 miles total. I'm all about riding as much as I can, so shoot me a line if you ever line up an opportunity. I get about a weekend a month off - and am off throughout the week most of the time. So its hard for me to commit to a weekly thing or anything like that.

Great Stuff..............THANKS for sharing it. Great on-board pics, been playing with that myself lately......... :rolleyes:

Thanks, been trying to figure out where to mount things... on my Hawk, it was easy - just use on of the exposed bolds or screws to hold a RAM mount setup - usually I used a triple clamp pinch bolt. The VFR's all plastic, though, and when I mount my GoPro, it just rattles like crazy. These vids and pics were caught with a Canon S3IS mounted with a RAM mount compression fitting mount down in the yoke tube. It works ok, I guess, would rather have the camera out from behind the windscreen.

Thanks again, though, I should have a lot more soon!

• Member Contributer

This stretch of road is on one of my routes for the KY Revival. If this looks like fun to you... come join us. This is one of the many flavors of fun roads we have in our beautiful state!

Kevin

I enjoy those same roads, being that I live in Georgetown. I make a loop going up 25 across 607 and then back down 227. Let me know if you would like to ride sometime.

Archived