Hi-beam Lo-beam? Both, Neither?

Guest roadwurkz

Guest roadwurkz

I have a '04 VFR800I. Ibought it used, and at some point in it's time on earth, has been down and broke the faring. I am in the process of getting the bugs worked out as someone has rewired the headlights. and I am confused at this point. It is a model with 4 bulbs in the headlight buckets. The top are H4's with the bottom H7's. OK. On low beam the bottom 2 are on, on high beam, all 4 are on. Yet the bottom 2 are still at low beam, H7's are dual filiment bulbs. So, I look at the wiring, the high beam prong wire has been cut, both sides! microfinch makes no sense of anything, and Hayne's manual says 55 watt bulb. DUH!!

How are they suppose to light up on this model? I can rewire the rest if I knew the proper lighting arrangement.

Thanks Gary (roadwurkz)

It is lighting as normal. There is a modification to get all 4 bulbs on high beam. I am sure it is around here somewhere. Did you try a search?

It is working as it should right now.

• Member Contributer

That is how mine work as well. Bottom 2 on all the time, all 4 on high beam.

On low beam the bottom 2 are on, on high beam, all 4 are on. Yet the bottom 2 are still at low beam, H7's are dual filiment bulbs.

Soichiro is correct. What you are describing is how the lights are delivered factory stock.

Even though the lower pair of lamps are dual filament, Honda only lit the low beam filament (whether you were on high beam or low beam). All the high beam switch did was turn on the upper pair of lamps.

As Soichiro mentioned, there is a pretty simple mod that will make it so the lower lamps use a high or low filament as selected by the switch.

Do a search for f*i*x*e*r (with no asterisks) He has been banned (a couple of times now), so you can't just type in his name or you get banned!. (see -- I typed "f*i*x*e*r (with no asterisk) but the screen shows "banned". So, anyway, his stuff may still be here, or not.

Basically you just put new sockets on the back of your original dual filament bulbs. Wire the low filament to a normally closed set of contacts, the high filament to normally open contacts, bring the lower pair supply to the common, and tap off the upper set of bulbs to the coil. Now your lower pair of lamps will have high and low beams.

• Member Contributer

The two bottom bulbs are low beams (H4's) and the two top bulbs are high beams H7's.

On low beam the bottom 2 are on, on high beam, all 4 are on. Yet the bottom 2 are still at low beam, H7's are dual filiment bulbs.

Soichiro is correct. What you are describing is how the lights are delivered factory stock.

Even though the lower pair of lamps are dual filament, Honda only lit the low beam filament (whether you were on high beam or low beam). All the high beam switch did was turn on the upper pair of lamps.

As Soichiro mentioned, there is a pretty simple mod that will make it so the lower lamps use a high or low filament as selected by the switch.

Do a search for f*i*x*e*r (with no asterisks) He has been banned (a couple of times now), so you can't just type in his name or you get banned!. (see -- I typed "f*i*x*e*r (with no asterisk) but the screen shows "banned". So, anyway, his stuff may still be here, or not.

Basically you just put new sockets on the back of your original dual filament bulbs. Wire the low filament to a normally closed set of contacts, the high filament to normally open contacts, bring the lower pair supply to the common, and tap off the upper set of bulbs to the coil. Now your lower pair of lamps will have high and low beams.

Archived