Calling All Pciii Experts

Guest VifferDude

Question

Guest VifferDude

I'm having a PC installed tommorrow with the "Hub" connection and map selector switch. I also have managed to get my hands on 800 Litres (180 Gallons) of 100 Octane race fuel. What I would like to know is, can I have switch postion 1 for a fuel economy map, and switch position 2 for all out performance with retarded ignition to take advantage of the 100 Octane fuel. And install an "Off" Switch to turn the PC off to run "Stock Standard" so I can still ride it on Regular 91 Octane fuel?

6 answers to this question

Sure. With that setup, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to load up two maps to your PC3: one for economy and one for power. This is possible because the stoichiometric ratio (where you should theoritically get the most power) isn't the same ratio for best economy.

The PC3 cannot change the iginition timing on the VFR. All it does is intercept the electrical pulses sent to the injectors and either lengthens or shorten them. It cannot move them to advance or retard the timing.

Also, race fuel won't do anything for you unless you've got a way to increase the compression in your engine. In fact, you'll probably make less power and get worse mileage with race fuel than you would with regular pump gas. Racer's use race fuel becaues their bikes are modified to make higher compression and thus need the higher octane to prevent pinging and knocking.

Sure. With that setup, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to load up two maps to your PC3: one for economy and one for power. This is possible because the stoichiometric ratio (where you should theoritically get the most power) isn't the same ratio for best economy.

The PC3 cannot change the iginition timing on the VFR. All it does is intercept the electrical pulses sent to the injectors and either lengthens or shorten them. It cannot move them to advance or retard the timing.

Also, race fuel won't do anything for you unless you've got a way to increase the compression in your engine. In fact, you'll probably make less power and get worse mileage with race fuel than you would with regular pump gas. Racer's use race fuel becaues their bikes are modified to make higher compression and thus need the higher octane to prevent pinging and knocking.

I thought you'd could take advantage of the higher octane by retarding the timing, so the spark plug fires when the piston is higher up in the bore?, where low octane fuel would ignite under compression alone (pre ignition). I remember seeing some where on the net where you can buy round steel plates with timing notches cut into, but at slightly later intervals to retard the timing for CBRs'. But none for the VFRs'. Then I relised the Viffer has electronic ignition controlled by a computer.

Surely there must be some way to adjust the timing?

And just switching of the PC will revert back to factory?

PCII. :fing02:

I've gone the opposite way to you - advanced timing and extra fuel at high revs / full throttle, and run high-octane for that.

You have two options there: disconnect it or run a zero map.

I thought you'd could take advantage of the higher octane by retarding the timing, so the spark plug fires when the piston is higher up in the bore?, where low octane fuel would ignite under compression alone (pre ignition). I remember seeing some where on the net where you can buy round steel plates with timing notches cut into, but at slightly later intervals to retard the timing for CBRs'. But none for the VFRs'. Then I relised the Viffer has electronic ignition controlled by a computer.

Maybe on a higher compression engine like the CBR, but the VFR engine is mildly tuned as far as motorcycles go.

I had a spark plug coil go bad on my bike one time. The injector on the dead cylinder continued to squirt fuel into the cylinder, there just wasn't any spark. During the entire 200 miles I rode home running only on three cylinders, the engine never pinged or knocked. I'd say there's no reason to go to higher octane with the VFR because with regular 91 octane (87 PON for those of in the states) gasoline the bike doesn't have any pre-ignition problems.

Sure you can adjust the timing on the VFR, but you'd have to replace the entire ignition system with an aftermarket system that you allows you to adjust ignition timing.

Not sure if there's a way you can just "turn off" a PC3. You can load a "zero map" and that would get you back to factory.

PCII. :fing02:

Unfortunately, they don't make the PCII for the 6th gen.

I've gone the opposite way to you - advanced timing and extra fuel at high revs / full throttle, and run high-octane for that.

:fing02:

Hi Fellas,

Thanks for the replies. I've got the fuel for nothing. So I guess I'll just use it, but it seems a shame to have high octane fuel and not take advantage of it some how. Seems like a waste.

I'll leave the ignition alone. Change stuff will only bring more problems. I thought it might have been a simple adjustment.

I was hoping to have 3 options for my fuel maps. ie map1 map2 and Off for factory. But from what you're telling me, to do that I need to unplug the wiring loom and take it out of the loop. So it looks like I'll just have a fuel economy map and a Performance map. I was thinking of using Coyzes' map for performance, but that map was made for the 7000rpm VTEC transition. Are there any maps out there for the 6400rpm VTEC point?. I remember reading a post where someone used Coyzes map and it changed the VTEC transition point from 6400rpm back up to 7000rpm. Also, are there any fuel economy maps getting around?

Archived