Vfr 800 Electrical Recall

solohvs

• Member Contributer

I have been putting off the electrical recall work because my local shop does NOT seem to have the service staff to get the work done properly. My last set of tires were perfectly mounted and balanced, but the rear wheel was scratched as a result of the mechanic being careless - I have tried to compound out the scratches, but there is a gouge in the metal that is VERY visible. My confidence was shaken with the strictly cosmetic damage which I wa supposed to shrug off - my bad. Shoulda / Coulda raised hell when I had the chance.

So.... I went over a couple towns to the next Honda dealer with a bigger shop and a nicer showroom and the service guy sounded very confident. The parts were IN STOCK for the recall, they had performed the work on a couple of other VFRs with no complications and I could WAIT since I was driving 50 miles to get the work done.

OK people - Is my "new best friend/service guy" overly optimistic or will the recall work be done while I wait about TWO HOURS?

Will I be taking a long taxi ride home?

I will not have much down time, but I'd rather have the work done correctly than RUSH these guys through the recall work.

Thanks for your comments!

The service manager told me it takes more like 3 hours to do it. I dropped mine off in the morning and picked it up in the late afternoon, on a Saturday. 50 miles is a hike. Just take a good book if you want to wait.

• Member Contributer

The speed at which they do it is going to depend on how familiar the tech that is doing the job is with the bike. If he has never worked on a vfr, it will take a while. If he works on them all the time, it will be done with speed and correctness. If they have done several already, i shouldn't worry about the tech taking forever to do it.

• Member Contributer

I'm going to do it. It can't be that bad if I'm going to sit right there and the service guy is POSITIVE that there is no problem. I'll get the straight talk when I book the service (15 day lead in time) and let him know what my expectations are.

I think Honda allows two or three hours for the entire recall. And yea, a good book will help.

This might be a little less painful than some of the guys who posted with nightmare service comments!

• Member Contributer

K.

Is yours ABS or not? Could save some time and possible heartache, if you take the major farings off, first.

Archived