Very Nice Review Of Vfr On Motorcycle-usa.com

Guest VFRoj

Guest VFRoj

In case anyone's interested, there's a very nice review of a 2008 VFR on Motorcycle-USA.com.

Nice to see that the press still takes an interests in this very versatile bike...they call it a sportbike, BTW.

Roj

Here's a few excerpts from the article:

Regarding its sporting traits:

As a sport-touring mount Honda's VFR is a solid player that can give most liter sportbikes a run for their money (Just watch Freddie Spencer-who uses a VFR as a teaching platform-put one through its paces at his riding school). The Interceptor has a rich racing pedigree that Honda continues to evolve, albeit very incrementally. The VFR has merely been refined over the past three years with no dramatic changes. That said, it remains a formidable machine that provides riders desiring performance and comfort with a stylish, practical, and thoroughly enjoyable alternative.

Regarding its Sport-Touring traits:

The VFR is definitely more of a sport machine that has been adapted for travel with a slightly relaxed seating position and optional hard bags to earn it a sport touring classification. Although more comfortable than most sport machines, the Interceptor is going to feel cramped for most riders on long hauls. Freeway flying distance junkies would be better suited to Honda's ST1300. Further proving this out, Honda's website places the Interceptor in the sport category as opposed to the touring section. The VFR has a 5.8 gallon capacity fuel tank, which is going to render (depending on riding habits) a range in excess of 200 miles between fuel stops.

Regarding its classy good looks and all-around versatility:

The Interceptor possesses aggressive lines with attractively wedged bodywork and an angular windscreen that works sufficiently at freeway speeds. A single-sided swingarm and dual under-seat exhaust contribute to the VFR's high-end sophisticated presence. What the Honda VFR Interceptor offers is a machine with the performance and good looks of a sportbike, combined with more practical ergonomics for weekend jaunts. Naturally, the whole package is graced with Honda's phenomenal dependability and stellar fit and finish. Available in one color; a classy, striking Metallic Silver.

It also has good things to say about its power and sound, and one minor nag about the infamous flat spot just before the VTEC kicks in.

Overall, a very flattering article recommending a very good bike.

Here's the web address:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page...6624&Page=1

Roj

• Member Contributer

I love reading write ups like this.....makes me wanna go riding.

But other than that, it was well written. It hits the nail right on the head with all the things Ive come to love about the bike myself...

Nice review. It's good to see people still writing reviews of a bike that's been made since '02 (with a few minor changes). To me it means this is still one heckuva great bike. I think the 6th gen. has earned a terrific 'niche bike' status. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Nice write-up......... :fing02:

Gotta' be a great bike......repeated myself (rare) and bought my second one................. tongue.gif

• Member Contributer

Very nice write-up on a great bike. The one thing that impressed me was the dyno test ..107 hp @ the rear wheel?

It must have been a very cool day to pull those numbers.Every thing I've read says 99 hps @ the crank!

I like his dyno numbers better!

• Member Contributer
Regarding its classy good looks and all-around versatility:

The Interceptor possesses aggressive lines with attractively wedged bodywork and an angular windscreen that works sufficiently at freeway speeds. A single-sided swingarm and dual under-seat exhaust contribute to the VFR's high-end sophisticated presence. What the Honda VFR Interceptor offers is a machine with the performance and good looks of a sportbike, combined with more practical ergonomics for weekend jaunts. Naturally, the whole package is graced with Honda's phenomenal dependability and stellar fit and finish. Available in one color; a classy, striking Metallic Silver.

It also has good things to say about its power and sound, and one minor nag about the infamous flat spot just before the VTEC kicks in.

Overall, a very flattering article recommending a very good bike.

Here's the web address:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page...6624&Page=1

Roj

Looks like the author spent a lot of research time here on VFRD. We have all spouted or heard these same accolades for years.

As I was reading the quote above, something struck me that has me kind of worried.

I've owned several Hondas in the past, from Valkyries to Superhawks all the way back to my first street bike, a 250 Custom (a great little bike that I thoroughly wrung out, and it just kept going...).

One thing I noticed was that Honda would only offer a bike in one color just before they ceased production of the bike. This happened with both the Valkyrie and the Superhawk (both of which were awesome bikes that never should have been discontinued).

If you notice, Honda's only offering one color on the VFR for 2008...pretty ominous. Anyone else ever notice this about Honda?

• Member Contributer

The risk of it being discontinued anyways has been there for awhile now, especially lately. The VFR though has usually only been offered in one color per year....and it used to be pretty much only red. I think the fact that they havent done any kind of a re-do of the VFR since '02 is more of a flag that the model could be gone in the next year or two; they usually shoot for every 4-5 years to update models in most cases.

The risk of it being discontinued anyways has been there for awhile now, especially lately. The VFR though has usually only been offered in one color per year....and it used to be pretty much only red. I think the fact that they havent done any kind of a re-do of the VFR since '02 is more of a flag that the model could be gone in the next year or two; they usually shoot for every 4-5 years to update models in most cases.

OR Honda are spending a little extra time on the new model to get it 'just so'... :idea3:

I can keep dreaming :fing02:

Archived