Help! Left Fork Issues

Guest tonyfugere

Guest tonyfugere

So, I low-sided a while back and it bent my left side fork's inner tube. I was working on replacing it today. When I was trying to loosen the bolt on the bottom of the fork that holds the damper rod, I think I may have stripped the grooves inside the inner fork tube that hold it in place. The bolt simply spins and I can hear something inside the fork spinning as the bolt fails to loosen any further. Can anyone give me suggestions to remove the damper and other parts so I don't have to spend $400 to get the new parts?

I'm going to take it to Honda Tuesday when they open up, but I was hoping to have Monday evening to work on this some more. VFRD, I beg and plead for assistance! Mainly, because I was hoping for a great 3-day ride next weekend... :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

Turn the preload adjuster all the way in to put tension, try to pull the halves of the fork apart (as if to over extend the fork) as you loosen the bottom bolt. An impact gun and a helper makes this a lot easier.

You should be able to get the inner tube straightened as long as it is not creased. If it is creased, you can get a new one for not too much money.

An electric(portable) impact gun was made for this job!

If it spins when you tighten it, then you will really have a problem...

I use a Ryobi gun from Home Depot, works great & only $60.

Turn the preload adjuster all the way in to put tension, try to pull the halves of the fork apart (as if to over extend the fork) as you loosen the bottom bolt. An impact gun and a helper makes this a lot easier.

You should be able to get the inner tube straightened as long as it is not creased. If it is creased, you can get a new one for not too much money.

Yea, I got a new fork tube already. This one is pretty bent. I'll try the pull it apart idea, though to see if that will help. However, I think SEBSPEED has it pinned "If it spins when you tighten it, then you will really have a problem..."

An electric(portable) impact gun was made for this job!

If it spins when you tighten it, then you will really have a problem...

I use a Ryobi gun from Home Depot, works great & only $60.

It does spin when I tighten it, too. It spins every which direction except it don't come out... :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

Have a helper pull the tubes apart and you should be able to loosen/tighten the bottom bolt, even without an impact gun.

I would recommend you also install a new fork seal, maybe bushings too while you have the fork apart.

• Member Contributer

When i took mine apart last year i used a long 3/8 extention with a piece of fuel line shoved on the end instead of a socket to hold the inside. With a regular socket wrench on both ends turning in opposite directions i was able to take both sides apart fairly easy.

Have a helper pull the tubes apart and you should be able to loosen/tighten the bottom bolt, even without an impact gun.

The pull apart method worked! I couldn't get any grip on my fork tube due to oil on it. I had to give up last night to help a friend with computer problems. So, I ran to Honda this morning and ¡voila! they got it with an impact gun and pulling on the tube.

I would recommend you also install a new fork seal, maybe bushings too while you have the fork apart.

I did get new fork seal, dust cover, and bushings just in case I needed them. So I am good there.

Thanks to you 3 for the helpful hints on this. I'll know what to do next time. My Clymer manual was not clear on the pull apart technique and when I did my buddy's CBR F2, we didn't need to do this. :blink: :goofy: :blush:

Archived