Travel Not Always What It Seems

Stéphane

• Member Contributer

Last year I removed the rear fender and attached the license plate directly under the tail with a small aluminum bracket. The first I doubled, the plate caught my rear tire and was crushed. I flatten it and finish the season, but it hit the tire again and finished the plate life. No problem it was the end of the riding season.

Fast forward to yesterday, first day of riding for me (yeah, we had lousy weather up until then) and I got a brand new Olympic plate (sponsoring our Canadian athletes) and checked in the manual the suspension travel. 120mm! So measure where the plate was and made sure there was 120mm between the plate and the tire. I had 180mm. Bingo! so I thought. Went for a ride with my wife hit a big bump and guess what . . . another plate bites the dust (I'm putting a Canadian on a podium all by myself). What did I do wrong?

Then it down on me. 120mm is at the front, not the rear. So made a drawing at scale and it came out as this: 120mm where shock is and 225mm at the end of the tire (the furthers place on the bike).

I think I got it right this time, but is there someone out there who could confirm that?

When you mounted the plate did you use the set of holes closest to the tail light? I did the same thing as you and have not had any problems. Are the Canada plates larger?

gallery_9137_2250_71484.jpg

Fender Elim Much Cleaner

Action

• Member Contributer

Here's a few pictures. Note that I wanted to keep the light, so I don't get pulled over for no reason.

P5180029.jpg

You can see here that if it works, I won't need to cut the next plate as much.

P5180030.jpg

I bent the bracket upward which in turn gave me an extra 70mm.

P5180031.jpg

Here's a few pictures. Note that I wanted to keep the light, so I don't get pulled over for no reason.

P5180029.jpg

You can see here that if it works, I won't need to cut the next plate as much.

P5180030.jpg

I bent the bracket upward which in turn gave me an extra 70mm.

P5180031.jpg

The hood is open on the integra. Sorry had to.

Archived