Beefing Up Thurne Mushrooms Bumpers

filterfool

Question

• Member Contributer

I have the Thurne mushroom bumpers on my 5th gen. They mount to the lower fairing stay. Being the klutz that I am, I have "tested" these a couple of times w/ zero speed drops.

They do protect the fairings but the stay, being made of bent steel approx 1/8th thick, bends into a pretzel. I have been able to hammer the stay back almost to the orginal shape and got the fairing remounted. I ordered & recieved a new stay for $3.86 from Honda, so no biggie.

My question to the group; if the stay was machined from solid aluminum or steel, would these mushrooms function as frame sliders? Would this put too much stress on the frame?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

4 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

Here are the pictures;

gallery_101_3779_658363.jpg

View of mushroom bumper mounted on bike

gallery_101_3779_526805.jpg

Fairing mounting bracket; bent one on top, new one on bottom

gallery_101_3779_858309.jpg

Frame mounting point

gallery_101_3779_804887.jpg

New bracket mounted; note 10mm bolt

Do you think a soild block of aluminum made w/ the proper locating points & bolt hole could be made to allow these bumpers to preform like sliders?

I may look for a machine shop to have a piece made to try.

Thanks & let me know what you think. :beer:

• Member Contributer
Do you think a soild block of aluminum made w/ the proper locating points & bolt hole could be made to allow these bumpers to preform like sliders?

Well. IMHO,....

It would help, but:

It's still not going to function as a slider. For the cost of the designing, and manufacturing of 2 pcs, it would be cheaper to just buy some sliders.

:beer:

Archived