Headlights Go Out Then Come Back On!

VFR_Brandon

• Member Contributer

This started the other day. The first time I thought it was just my imagination. Ive noticed on my way home from work at night my head lights will completely go off and come back on.

It only seems to happen when I switch from high beams to low beams. When I switch to low beams the lights will go off completely for about a second and them come right back on. I can't get it to repeat it self. It just seems to do it when it wants. But when it does do it its all ways when I switch back to low beams.

The bike runs fine. No FI light or anything. I am not sure if the tach and speedometer lights go off or not. It happens to quick for me to look down and see.

I am guessing my switch is going bad? I don't think the bike loses power completely because my heated vest stayed on the entire time. Any other ideas?

check the contacts in the push-button starter switch since contacts there interrupt the headlight circuit to aid starting and wires there can break at solder connections.

If switch is sticky and does not fully spring back out, headlight contacts can be disconnected.

My 98 does this exact same thing. Its kinda scarey at night sometimes going from bright to dim beams the lights go out completely for a few secs. It happens sometimes & doesnt happen other times no logic to it that I have found. My guess is a dirty connection somewhere but I havent found it yet.

• Member Contributer

Like all things...."NOT NECESSARILY"...but...the problem is "usually" in the dimmer or starter switch...... :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

My 96 does the same thing, The first time it happened I thought it was just my imagination. The second time freaked me out. I'm not sure what it is.

Hey Brandon

I've had two bikes over the years that have done that exact thing. Both times all that I needed to do was to take apart that switch assembly, just two screws on the underside. Then separate the two parts, you'll see the contact terminals for the different switches. Just use rubbing alcohol and a q-tip to clean the parts, let it dry and give it a squirt of something to lubricate the switches (I've just WD-40, works for me). This will solve those scary seconds at night when you loose all ability to see. This also takes care of the problem with those stiff turn signal switches.

Hope it helps, Nate

Archived