Honda Shocks: All The Same?

flyguyeddy

im looking at making a Frankenstein shock for my bike.

i want to have a remote reservoir upper part from an F4i, the adjuster from the stock VFR, and the modified 929 lower part i bought from jamie daugherty. is this possible by just swapping parts? i already have the 929 shock and i am eventually going to get a hypercoil 19kg.mm spring for it but i want to have the reservoir out of the way and be able to adjust my shock with the stock adjuster.

thoughts?

maybe the shock bodies are not the same length?

I'd be surprised, although Honda does do a lot of interchangeable bits, combining the individual components of rear dampers could be stretching the friendship a bit.

CBR900 shocks go into 4th Gens ok with a longer top mount, but I understand that an Ohlins for a 4th Gen won't fit into a 3rd Gen so clearly there's some compatibility issues there - you need to check whether the 929 shock will actually work with your lower linkage.

I'd start by getting an overall shock length for your stock shock. Then look for ebay ones - GSX-R, R1, ZX-10R etc. Ask the seller for dimensions! You could find something that will bolt in with little modification and a stiffer spring to handle the extra weight.

i bought a shock from jamie daugherty so its been modified to work with the 3rd gen lower clevis style mount

id like to use some of what i already have (due to the mods to the bottom of the shock i dont have to do)

the way it seems to me is that all the shocks from the newer bikes like what i have are going to be the same length cause they are shorter. can you make a new line for an f4i shock so that it doesnt interfere with stuff? im referring to the reservoir hydraulic line here

Archived