Power Commander On A Standard Bike?

Guest flashthebiker

Question

Guest flashthebiker

Have an '02 VTEC running BMC air filter and disabled 02 sensors with resistors. Otherwise is stock. Bike runs quite well particularly over 5,000 rpm. The flat spot @ 4,500 rpm spoken about regularly almost went away with fitting of resistors. Has a horrible flat spot at around 2,500 rpm and fuelling generally is weird up to 3,000 rpm. I think I am probably fortunate not to have the many issues others have reported with surging etc, but I'm not happy with how the bike fuels at lower revs. In the 9 months I have had it I have had the engine die on about 4 or 5 occasions, which I again believe is a known issue related to the ECU. If I shut it down and restart all is fine again.

So after that long intro, given I run an almost stock bike will I get any benefit from a PCIII? I will take it to a reputable installer at have it mapped on a dyno. Am I wasting my time and $$ - given that I have a quite good bike with some slightly annoying fuelling issues? I have no intention in replacing the pipes as the cost out weights the benefit, particulary if I then add a PCIII. ...and besides apart from the weight, and perhaps the lack of sound, I don't mind the standard pipes - often get compliments from other bikers.

5 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

2,500-3,000 rpm will bog the bike and load it up. Really need to be 3,500+. What it your idle at? Love my pcIII. Cozye's map is the whip. But not really NEEDED, the way you're set-up.

2,500-3,000 rpm will bog the bike and load it up. Really need to be 3,500+. What it your idle at? Love my pcIII. Cozye's map is the whip. But not really NEEDED, the way you're set-up.

Idle is at 1,200 rpm. I guess what I am looking for is engine response like you get over 5,000 rpm. I don't mean in terms of acceleration just smoother than it is now. Even keeping constant fuelling at around 3,500 - 4,500 rpm is sometimes a challenge (I'm being finicky here but have ridden other bikes that fuel very nicely from idle to redline). It just does not feel right in the right hand...

i would block the PAIR valve first and see where you are. after a week in that state, if still dont like, get pciii w/ coyze's map.

i can tell you that mine runs like butter from 2k to 12k with none of the issues everyone talks about and each step (o2 & pair then pciii) made a big improvement.

• Member Contributer
i would block the PAIR valve first and see where you are. after a week in that state, if still dont like, get pciii w/ coyze's map.

i can tell you that mine runs like butter from 2k to 12k with none of the issues everyone talks about and each step (o2 & pair then pciii) made a big improvement.

+1.gif Defiantly a free mod that will make a big difference.

Part of the nature of the beast with FI. (So I've been told). My old Maxim was never like the VFR, when I first got it. I've heard the new FZ1's are really touchy. Mine's really smooth, compared to how it was, but I had a P.C., on it before I did the pair mod.

Archived