Stompgrip For A 5th Gen

Guest Tgorman

Guest Tgorman

I installed Stompgrip to allow me to grip the tank with my knees. I've seen pics on a 6th gen. with the Universal pad which looks good. I wanted the fit to appear it was made for my bike. I have installed 3M Scothgard on my touring bike and it's practically invisible(doesn't improve traction with knees). Making the patterns is time consuming though so I wanted to buy something pre-cut. Talked to the guys at Stomp and they sent me Part #55-6002 for Ducatis '02 998/ '00-01 996/ '00-02 748. I asked how they came to their decision and was told they have the tank measurements to compare. I was skeptical it would fit well after looking at pics of the Ducatis on their site. You can view my gallery to see the finished product. Preplanning the placement for this product is the most time consuming part of the job. As far as I can tell you get one shot at getting it in position. Unlike Scotchgard that goes onto a wet surface so it can be moved into position and the liquid squeegeed out Stomp goes onto a dry surface. I can give more details on how I measured for the placement if anyone's interested.

• Member Contributer

I think it looks really good. I'm curious to know how well it works? (You mentioned the scotchguard one not working very well.) Does it have UV protection to prevent any discoloration?

I think it looks really good. I'm curious to know how well it works? (You mentioned the scotchguard one not working very well.) Does it have UV protection to prevent any discoloration?

I took a quick spin around the neighborhood. You can change your riding style easily if you're so inclined. I was pinching the tank between my knees. You can use the tank as a strong pivot point. I could rise slightly off the seat in the bumps, grip the tank and feel glued to the bike as it transitions over bumps without a death grip on the bars. My desire with this product was to reduce the downward pressure I'm feeling in my palms.

Stomp recommends waiting 24 hours before riding to allow the adhesive to cure. The Scotchgard is great for protecting paint and can't be seen from more than a few feet away. It's not intended to be used for other than paint protection film. I'm almost 6'2" so the more aggressive riding position of the VFR keeps forcing me into the tank. I have Heli bars and a Sargent seat on my touring bike so I'm trying to keep the sportier quality of the VFR.

Stomp is supposed to have UV protection to keep it from fading or yellowing. It also comes in black which I considered because it wouldn't be transparent or show dirt. Clear seems to be more popular so time will tell on how it's appearance holds up.

I'll be gone most of the day so I won't reply to email until this evening.

http://www.stompdesign.com/stompgrip/features.asp

• 4 years later...
  • Member Contributer

Well, it doesn't look as good on a light-colored bike (yellow), but I would have done a much worse job with universals and no guide, so thanks for this thread.

• 2 months later...

Well, it doesn't look as good on a light-colored bike (yellow), but I would have done a much worse job with universals and no guide, so thanks for this thread.

If you can post pics, I'd like to see how they look on a yellow Gen 5, please.

Archived