Installing Center Stand On 4th Gen

elizilla

• Member Contributer

Last August when I went to the track day, I asked my neighbor to come over and help me load the bike in the truck. While he was here he decided to "help" me by removing my centerstand, and opening other cans of worms that I didn't have time for. Grrr.

So today I'm working in the garage, on my list of winter maintenance projects. Next item on the list: reinstall centerstand on VFR.

I'm not the one who took it off, and I can't figure out how this thing goes back together. Is there anyone out there with a 4th gen and a digital cam, who would be willing to take some pictures for me? In particular, the little hangar thingy that the spring attaches to end, how does that attach to the frame?

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

katherine,

In your case, this is how I've done it. After installing the stand and bolts, support the stand as high as possible, hook the short end of the spring to the stand and with vice grips locked down super tight at the long end; grunt, strain, twist and pull till the spring reaches the "C" shaped part. It is very difficult and I strongly suggest getting help on this (if nothing else but to hold the bike) unless someone has a great, easier method they can share.

There is a nice trick to this but, unfortunately for you, it's done before you remove the stand. you place coins or washers between the open coils while the stand is deployed, roll the bike off the stand and now the spring can't fully retract it is no longer under tension thus much easier to work with. Only a little grunting involved.

Good luck.

In Brian's third pic you can see the 13mm bolt that holds the bracket in place. The trick is to hold the stand itself up in line with the two lugs on the frame that it attaches to, then slide the long pivot in (from the left - chain - side of the bike), then rotate the pivot (if needed) anticlockwise until the flat bracket end contacts the frame. Then just put that 13mm bolt in.

The hanger that the upper end of the spring attaches to is part of the pivot assembly IIRC. If it isn't then perhaps its assembled with the stand and pivot prior to fitment to the bike (i.e. leave the pivot sticking out the left side then locate the whole assembly to the frame and push the pivot through).

It takes 15 seconds once you understand how it works, and is very easy. Attaching the spring once the stand is bolted up is the only moderately difficult part. I use a t-handle hook that came with a spring-clamped exhaust system I bought, which is very effective.

I used the spring tool for automotive drum brakes to hook my spring to the stand. If I recall, it was easier if I left the retaining bolt a few turns out, but hard to tighten the bolt afterwards.

• Member Contributer

I have installed centerstands before on other bikes, and those springs are indeed horrible to deal with. I have several tricks for that. But the little hanger arm had me stuck! I will look at it again today. Thanks for the pictures!!!

Methods for dealing with centerstand springs:

1. The coin trick mentioned above.

2. String/rope. Hook the spring up at one end, and put a strong rope or string through the hook at the other end. Tie to something solid that you can get ahold of, like a wrench or a piece of pipe or whatever. This gives you something to pull on.

3. I have three spring tools. One automotive brake puller that looks like a big spindly pair of pliers. One that is like a T-handle with a hook on the business end. One chewed up old flathead screwdriver that I dremeled a slot in, so I can catch the end of a spring and pry.

Dealing with those springs still sucks. But at least I know what I'm trying to do! And now I will know where I'm trying to put that hanger arm. It would be so much easier if I had been the one who took it apart. :P

Anyway, thanks for the help and advice! I will let you know how it turns out!

• 4 years later...
  • Member Contributer

getting ready to install centerstand on my 94, any tricks on installing the springs to it.

Archived