New Tire Etiquette Amnesia

Maddog Hoek

• Member Contributer

I've got about 75 miles on them now, all is well. I'll still be cautious until the nipples are gone. The temp was 23deg in the AM and 48 in the afternoon. Let's just say that after the morning ride I feel ALIVE!!! The bike handled perfectly I didn't do anything goofy. I think it's time for heated gloves though. I guess I truly am a VFR rider now, I would have never ridden on my GSXR750 in this weather. Thanks again for all of the help. 100 more miles and I can relax.

I've got about 75 miles on them now, all is well. I'll still be cautious until the nipples are gone. The temp was 23deg in the AM and 48 in the afternoon. Let's just say that after the morning ride I feel ALIVE!!! The bike handled perfectly I didn't do anything goofy. I think it's time for heated gloves though. I guess I truly am a VFR rider now, I would have never ridden on my GSXR750 in this weather. Thanks again for all of the help. 100 more miles and I can relax.

With 75 miles you are good to go. No matter the temparature. The only parts not scrubbed in would probably be the very edges. I dont measure it in miles, just look at the tire. If it's dull and no longer shiny your good to go.

• Member Contributer
I also put the bike on the center stand and start it. Then put it in gear and put some 60 grit or better sandpaper to the edges.

That's the same way I get rid of my chicken stripes! :goofy:

AW MAN...that just ruined my day... :blink: All this time I thought you were FAST. I've got to find a new hero now in additon to Skuuter... :rolleyes:

With all those pics you posted of your scrubbed up race tires, now I know you just went over them with a belt sander. :goofy:

Guess we'll see you in the "slow / scenic" groups... :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
I actually like to use accetone on my new tires. If you want to no how much of a difference it makes, put your bike on the center stand with new front tire on a slick garage floor. Start rotating the tire on the floor (new tire turns real easy) and when the area you wiped off with accetone comes in contact with the slick floor the tire will instantly stop. Makes a huge difference and you will see the rag turn absolutely black. I do this so I can go out and just ride. Accetone evaporates rather quickly and works great, plus accetone is cheap and has many uses. :thumbsup:

That's right. Like making "crank", "speed" and cleaning up crud off of VFR's. When you start stealing amonia from farmers, we'll know what yur up to.... :rolleyes:

shhhhhhhhh, I've got a really good recipe if you're interested.

Pass, but Oklahoma needs you... :blink:

Archived