Oem Hardbags & Fender Eliminator?

Twox48

• Member Contributer

I just installed a sweet set of factory hard bags on my 04. (Thanks OKCVFR!) I have a fender eliminator kit previously installed so the large heavy bracket that hangs down & supports the cross tie piece on the bag brackets won't work. I cut the cross tie bracket to eliminate the view obstruction to my reg. plate and installed this without the large bracket to the under side of the seat.

I know that I could remove the plate bracket & light then mount them on the large bracket but I really don't think I'd like how far back that would put them. I think it might look like crap that way.

My question is, has anyone else done this without the other bracket? The setup seems pretty sturdy without this bracket. I know that Honda would say it's "required" but I don't plan on loading the bags to anywhere near the 22lbs each they're max capacity is. They would only be lightly packed and I think they should hold up fine. 99% of the time just used for commuting with a change of clothes & a lunch in them.

I'd like to hear any opinions.

gallery_9056_3583_47284.jpg

cut down bracket

gallery_9056_3583_155913.jpg

Bracket installed

If you're talking about losing the connecting bracket (the cross tie piece), I wouldn't do it.

If you talking about the heavy duty bracket that hangs down from the tail, you be fine without it. The mounts are plenty strong enough for whatever you can stuff into those bags.

The only concern you may have is if you drop your bike (those saddlebags make great frame sliders). You may tweak the mounts a bit if you drop it and you don't have the center bracket (or you may not tweak it, it'll probably depend on the drop). But, if you don't have the center cross tie piece at all, the brackets would probably bend from hitting a large bump.

You could upgrade to a super cool rubbermaid trash can fender and use the center bracket. He he he....

tn_gallery_4208_389_722267.jpg tn_gallery_4208_389_168616.jpg tn_gallery_4208_389_368186.jpg

• Member Contributer

I have no idea. From what I've seen, your set-up,....

gallery_9056_3583_155913.jpg

Looks damn good. Personally, if I were in your shoes, I would keep a bracket in between. Just my opinion.

• Member Contributer

I modded my Fender eliminator to make it work better with the Bags. It isn't mounted quite as high as originally designed, but it still uses all the factory brackets, yet hides the cross brace.

gallery_4571_429_64958.jpg

Lisc Mod.jpg

Crappy Pic, but you get the idea

• Member Contributer

Darth,

I will keep the modified connector bracket. That really stiffens up the setup and I think is definately required. I am talking about the HD bracket that hangs down from the tail. The one that's in your pic with the super cool, wicked awesome rubbermaid trash can fender eliminator! I think it will be strong enough but I just wanted to hear from others who might have done this before. I just don't want problems down the road.

Viffer,

Looking at your setup I may just try that. It doesn't look as bad as I thought it would.

Thanks Guys!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived