Stator Upgrade

Guest Pete McCrary

Guest Pete McCrary

Could someone please give me the details of exactly what the stator upgrade/recall was on the '02 models. I bought mine used and cannot locate the original owner so I don't know if it was done or not.

Is there an easy way to check? What exactly gets replaced - just the stator winding portion or the "flywheel" type device also?

The Service Bulletin/Recall ended last Oct. sad.gif Good for 5 years only.

They replaced both the flywheel & windings with a version that has the exact same "output", but just starts fully charging at a lower RPM.

Like most of these Recalls/SB's they add a punch make around the VIN. plate with each job having a different location.

Your Dealer should be able to tell you each and every item done based on your VIN. # :thumbsup:

I never got mine done and have 55k miles on it so far. :idea3:

Thanks Bailey.

I'll check out my VIN plate for any markings tonight. I went on Ron Ayers.com just to look at the parts and they do show an upgraded part number for the stator but the flywheel part number didn't change.

Thanks Bailey.

I'll check out my VIN plate for any markings tonight. I went on Ron Ayers.com just to look at the parts and they do show an upgraded part number for the stator but the flywheel part number didn't change.

Sure thing!

I think the current part # is what all 03-up VFR's got and the upgrade to the 02. :thumbsup:

It's about $173. Just checked my VIN plate and there are no marks of any kind on it.

I'm like you, I've never had any charging problems.

I have ordered a VFRness to install while I have the bike apart for winter upgrades ('99 headers, PAIR valve, ditched the charcoal cannister, installing tapered roller bearings in the steering stem, etc).

Working on installing a Stebel right now.

pete, you probably have seen the post, but you need to take it in for the rear subframe recall for 02's and for the front wiring harness recall to prevent the blue connector melt down.

Turtle:

I got the recall notice from Honda for the front wiring harness.

This is the first I've heard about the rear sub-frame. What problem does it have?

This is the fourth late model Honda I've had ('01 Goldwing, '03 ST1300, '04 ST1300, & the '02 VFR). Honda sure does issue a lot of recalls. Are they being overly cautious or is their quality on the down slope?

Pete

Archived