Brake Light Won't Light Up With Handbrake

Guest hougy

When I was testing out the lighting on my new VFR, I noticed the handbrake does not activate the brake light. The foot brake will once you put "enough" pressure on it (a little to much IMO). I am not familiar with the VFR since I just got it, and I don't know where all the fuses are yet. Can anyone lend a suggestion of what to look at?

failure of the small brake light switch is common, so pull the 2 wires off the switch, peel back the rubber booties and touch wire terminals together. IF the lights go on, you need to replace the switch.

(if your rear brake light is working there's no problem with a fuse, but on a new bike, especially a Honda, you need to find the fuses box for future reference....you may be needing it!)

you'll need to unfasten the 2 bolts holding the brake set-up to the handlebar for best access to switch, which is held in place by one very small screw....don't loose it!

• Member Contributer

As for the rear brake, you can adjust the height at which the light comes on by adjusting the screw nob on the brake light switch down by the foot pedal. It is near the rear master cylinder. Black Plastic piece that has threads...and a little metal hook on the bottom attached to the foot pedal.

• Member Contributer

oh and if your y2k is like my 98 the fuse box is underneath the seat on the outside of the battery box... right near the gas tank.

Awesome. Took it off and fiddled around with it. It works now o.O

I think I'll go and get a spare just incase...that screw was a freaking bugger

Archived