Oem Bags: Lid Removal

BrianF

Some quick background: On a trip this past summer, some ______(insert colorful descriptor), knocked/pushed/whatever my '03 over on its right side while I was in a restaurant at night. Didn't see it happen, but shortly after a customer came in and asked if I was the owner of the "fancy silver motorsickle" outside that was laying "like a dead horse." :o Ran outside and picked it up ASAP. :rolleyes: After much anger and cursing, I finished my now-cold dinner and continued the trip with just cosmetic damage. Now, however, it's time to sand and paint the bag lid. The bags would be awkward at best to paint as a whole, so I'm trying to remove the lids, but I don't see how. There's a small rod that runs through the three cylindrical pivot points (2 lid, 1 base), but it only comes out about 1/4" before it gets stuck. WD40 has done nothing. Any ideas on what to do? Or should I just take them to a paint shop and let them solve the puzzle and do the spraying? Do they even come off? Thanks.

I would do it myself before I let someone inexperienced mess with it. I would have thought the pin would tap out; maybe it's two pins that are captured?

Now that I think of it, someone else here went through this when they bought silver bags and repainted to red - standby -

Here you go:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...c=19766&hl=

Update:

My friend painted my bags for me. He was able to separate the lids from the bases of the bags.

He ended up taking a drill bit that was smaller in diameter than the pin to drill through the plastic. He then tapped the pins out. The end of the pin is knurled, so it went back in and doesn't move. There is enough plastic at the back end of the pin to hold it back in place anyway.

:wheel:

• Member Contributer

Yep, thanks to the original poster, and for the replies. You guys read my mind; I had posted the same question in another thread last night, then found this thread this morning. :idea3:

Archived