Evap Canister Removal

wooly72

Question

• Member Contributer

Hey everybody. I have done the PAIR removal as shown in the maintenance how-to-guide. After I finished though, the next suggestion was for removal of the EVAP canister. Has anyone done this and could you tell me how it's done? I have an 02 and I'm trying to strip it of anything it doesn't really need. (Don't get me wrong, I love to do my part for the environment-but I also would love to shed some weight off my baby wherever I can).

4 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

Do a search, there is (or used to be at least) a how-to guide.

It is very easy, just remove the thing and plug the vacuum hose that comes from the throttle bodies. The breather hose from the gas tank needs to be left open - if you plug this hose, the fuel pump will crush the gas tank.

It is very easy, just remove the thing and plug the vacuum hose that comes from the throttle bodies. The breather hose from the gas tank needs to be left open - if you plug this hose, the fuel pump will crush the gas tank.

Wasn't there a solenoid in between somewhere? I left mine in(the solenoid), but that can be removed too. I cut a piece of the large tube that runs from the solenoid to the evap can, stuck a bolt in one end, secured it with a hose clamp, and stuck the other end back on the solenoid.

• Member Contributer

Wasn't there a solenoid in between somewhere? I left mine in(the solenoid), but that can be removed too. I cut a piece of the large tube that runs from the solenoid to the evap can, stuck a bolt in one end, secured it with a hose clamp, and stuck the other end back on the solenoid.

Yea, I think there was a solenoid. I threw that away ages ago along with that cannister on the front of the airbox.

Archived