Gearing Up & Need Some Opinions, Please

i_needit

• Member Contributer

Please let me know what you think, this will be for everyday and across the country weather riding in three, mostly warm season riding 60-100 degrees.

Here is what I have.

Alpinestar Stage perforated leather jacket

Motoport Air Mesh Kevlar Pant with tri armor

Shoei RF-1000

Alpinestars SP-1 Gloves

Choices, choices, choices.

Chest & Back

Cannot decide & I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions, pro and cons:

Forcefield Back Protector with Forcefield Race-Lite Chest Protector

Or

Bionic SP Vest, I tried it on at a local shop with my jacket and was extremely tight, it fit but it was tight, almost uncomfortable. I know if I remove the foam pad and liner in the jacket I will have a little more room.

Yes the paints have armor in them but I want something closer and more tight to my body, also I might pickup a pair of dragging jeans for quick around town trips and these will come in handy.

Legs

Forcefield Strap-On Leg

or

Forcefield Limb Tubes leg

or

Alpinestars Bionic SX Knee Protectors

Boots, i dont think you can go wrong with Sidi, but I can only have one:

Sidi Strada Evo Tepor Boots "Might get real warm"

or

Strada Evo Air Boots"Might get real wet"

Any opinions are welcome.

Thanks

As for back protectors....I bought the "upgrade" Alpinestars RC back protector for my Alpinestars TZ-1 jacket and had the chance to test it. It doesn't really look like much other than a piece of foam, but I hit a curb directly with my back and I had no injuries other than a couple minor bruises. I actually didn't even realize I hit the curb until I removed the back protector to examine it a month or so later which brought out that memory. Overall, not too shabby for what looks like a piece of foam and what looks like some sort of honey comb structure. It's kinda stiff at first, but after a while you forget its there. I was thinking of getting a more beefy back protector next, but I'm not sure if I will since the RC back protector has done its job once already and seems to offer more area to absorb impact (and more concealable since it fits in the back pocket) in a normal street environment than a normal back protector. I had bought and returned the Alpinestars tech back protector (I think thats what its called) a couple years ago simply because it felt weird under my jacket and I couldn't really see myself using it all the time.

So long story short...tested it, it worked hitting a curb after bouncing off a car, and is somewhat more easier to use everyday. I'm sure there is something out there that is probably better for more money and can be used the same way, but for me it was the best $25 I ever spent.

Boots, i dont think you can go wrong with Sidi, but I can only have one:

Sidi Strada Evo Tepor Boots "Might get real warm"

or

Strada Evo Air Boots"Might get real wet"

Yeah, you're gonna get real warm in the Evo Tepors.

Get the Air version and carry some rubber pullover booties for the frog-stranglers that might fall out of the sky.

http://www.aerostich.com/product.php?produ...=302&page=1

Here's what I wrote about the Sidi boots I have after testing them...

Sidi Tepor Boots----great boots, I never really been one to complain about my feet getting hot since these are waterproof. The shin armor saved my shins and especially the heel armor. The ankle protection did its job, but I knew when I got them it's not the best. I hurt my ankle a little, but overall it was a fair compromise (considering I smashed my foot so hard my foot peg is smashed solid against my bike). They're probably still good to go, but I might get some new ones later (they just got beat up a bit, not sure how waterproof it is now, probably wont really get new ones since it cost major $$).

I'm still using them so far...puma came out with some snazzy boots...

• Member Contributer

I ridie in Houston, TX in the Sidi Evo Tepors and haven't complained about the heat at all. More of a pain is the hot air blowing over the top boot from the bike in stop and go riding. I do ride in a think wicking type of sock.

Archived