5th Gen. Electrically Confused

Guest Schnoll

I've got a 98 VFR with about 75k miles. Recently replaced the R/R and Battery and since replacing the R/R have been having this problem. The bike starts fine, holds a charge and seems to run perfectly, after about 15 minutes of regular wedding (mostly freeway). The entire electrical system dies, it can usually be restarted by doing a rolling start before you loose too much momentum. It'll run for another 10-15 minutes and then the same thing happens. on the 3rd time its died completely and the battery is dead. After recharging the battery the symptoms can be repeated like clockwork. Should i try replacing the R/R again? Any ideas would be very helpful

It would be extremely helpful to know what voltages you are seeing at various RPMs, and also when hot/cold.

Cold:

Idle-

2500-

5500-

Hot:

Idle-

2500-

5500-

If you can watch it while you ride, that will be better yet. I am guessing your R/R is acting funky, but don't rule out a wiring issue either.

• Member Contributer

Contact member cbar. He had a 5th gen doing that to him while he was living in Australia. IIRC, everything would be fine until the bike got hot enough for the fan to kick on.

Archived