Rear Tail Light Bulb Keep Blowing

custompcs37421

• Member Contributer

I need help trying to figure out why my rear tail light bulb keep blowing. Not the brake light but the running light bulb. I have a 2006 non abs VFR. At first I thought maybe because I done the fender eliminator mod and moisture was getting inside the rear housing area, but I use some foam and water proof tape to seal the gap and I'm still having this problem. I bought this bike brand new about 4 months ago and the bulb have blown about 5 times already. I have a PCIII installed with the O2 sensors mod, everything else stock.

I need help trying to figure out why my rear tail light bulb keep blowing. Not the brake light but the running light bulb. I have a 2006 non abs VFR. At first I thought maybe because I done the fender eliminator mod and moisture was getting inside the rear housing area, but I use some foam and water proof tape to seal the gap and I'm still having this problem. I bought this bike brand new about 4 months ago and the bulb have blown about 5 times already. I have a PCIII installed with the O2 sensors mod, everything else stock.

I had exactly the same issue - it didn't happen till the stock one burned out and I bought some bulbs from Schuck's. I think they were Sylvania's. I went through three more in a month before I decided to check out an OEM bulb from the dealer. I compared them and the OEM had an extra support wire for the filament. I don't think the Sylvania's could handle the vibration from the exhaust. I have not had any problems with the OEM bulb.

• Member Contributer

I had exactly the same issue - it didn't happen till the stock one burned out and I bought some 1157's from Schuck's. I think they were Sylvania's. I went through three more before I decided to check out an OEM bulb from the dealer. I compared them and the OEM had an extra support wire for the filament. I don't think the Sylvania's could handle the vibration from the exhaust. I have not had any problems with the OEM bulb.

Replacement bulbs came from the Honda Dealership. Do you think the vibration is causing the problem? I did install Scorpion pipes.

• Member Contributer
I need help trying to figure out why my rear tail light bulb keep blowing.

There are several potential bulb killers.

Overvoltage - can result from faulty regulator or loose battery connection.

Vibration - some cheap bulbs can't stand it, try a different brand.

Vibration plus bad contact - bulbs do not like being turned on and off hundreds times a second. Check the bulb socket, make sure the contacts there are clean and tight.

Archived