Directionals Kaput

Guest llew_x

Like the title suggests my directionals are no longer working on both sides, front and back. I'm thinking it's either a fuse or the switch itself, has anyone else had a similar problem and are the fuses located under the seat? Oh yeah, it's a 96 vfr750.

-Paul

• Member Contributer
Like the title suggests my directionals are no longer working on both sides, front and back. I'm thinking it's either a fuse or the switch itself, has anyone else had a similar problem and are the fuses located under the seat? Oh yeah, it's a 96 vfr750.

-Paul

Check the fuse first. It also is the fuse for the horn and break lights, so you'll know quickly if it is the fuse.

If it is the fuse, you need to find what caused it to blow. Mine was due to a short in the wire cluster as it came out of the front break switch on the right bar. Pain to find. Good Luck.

• Member Contributer

The fuses are in a nice convenient spot on a 4th gen. They're just below the gauge cluster on the right. There's one screw to remove the cover, and then the lid hinges up after releasing a tab on the front. That's the only set of fuses I know of, other than ones I've added. There are none under the seat.

Having a nice "old" bike means less fuses to burn up. :D I think there are maybe 6 of them, and my bike came with spares.

So... I get home last night, park the car and walk over to the bike scratching my head thinking, 'wtf am i gonna do to get this fixed so i can enjoy a ride tonight?'

Put the key in the ignition and start switching directionals from left to right to see what's going on. Wierd things happening, looked like when I pushed the switch straight in the left side, front blinker would come on but not flash, just stay lit solid. If I pushed the switch to the right, same thing on the right side.

So I'm playing around trying to catch a pattern or make some sense of it when I start to notice a clicking sound. After going back and forth from right side to left side it seems that it's my directionals making the sound but the lights aren't flashing. Ok, I figure at least it seems a little easier to fix or easier to troubleshoot.

Then, as if my super human powers willed it to happen, the right side just started to flash when i pushed the switch to the right...woohoo! I try the left, and not quite. It's still making the clicking sounds but doesn't flash. Then I found out if i pushed the switch to the right and held it there a couple seconds the light would flash and i could let go and be all set.

That's all I needed to see. Ran back to the car, grabbed my helmet, jacket and gloves and off I went.

Everything seems to be working fine now and this morning i didn't even need to hold the left side to get the blinker to blink.

Man I love VFR's, they fix themselves!! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the suggestions,

-Paul

• Member Contributer
Man I love VFR's, they fix themselves!! :thumbsup:

Kind of like Mac's, eh?*

Sounds like dirty contacts. Use your turn signals more, or spray contact cleaner in there.

*I don't know much about Macs, but I remember when they did their version of blue-screening, you just hold down the shift key or the funny-looking flower thing key, reboot, and viola! Fixed!

Archived