For Those Of You With Racetech Rebound Valves

flyguyeddy

so im looking to revalve my forks with racetech specs and i was looking for someone with the chart that comes with the setup.

anyone have it?

im just going to put whatever racetech uses on the compression and rebound on my showa 3 port valves.

if i cant get this ill just put the valves that were in my bike to begin with back on.

Racetech does not recommend a new rebound valve for VFR's--they just give you specs to re-do the stack using your stock valve. Starting from the piston face, the recommend (6) 0.15x17, and (1) 0.10x9 then the base plate and nut. This is for 5W oil. For 10W oil, just delete (1) of the 0.15 x17 shims. Add shims below the base plate as needed to build up to the same total thickness as stock. I have the recommended shim stack for the Compression valves, but it would only work for the gold valve.

MikeG

• Member Contributer
Racetech does not recommend a new rebound valve for VFR's

Huh? Why do they sell a rebound valve if they don't recommend it?

• Member Contributer
Racetech does not recommend a new rebound valve for VFR's

Huh? Why do they sell a rebound valve if they don't recommend it?

Because people will buy one anyway!

This would have been good to know a week ago!

flyguy--as you know (you PM'd me about it), I did the full Racetech deal on my forks, including rebound. But...and it's a big "but"....I used F3 guts with the Gold rebound valves. It's been a while since I did that, but when I read your post here, my first thought was that you must use F3 guts to go with the Gold rebounds. Maybe not....dunno. Don't remember. Too much Scotch since then.

Anyway, what I really think is that you need to make a call to Racetech for THEIR advice regarding changes to your OEM rebound stack or going with the Gold valves. Unless you're changing the spring (and as I recall from our PM discussion, you are), there's not much reason to change rebound settings. Remember: Rebound settings are mostly a factor of the spring rate, not rider weight, riding style, or road conditions (which strongly influence correct compression settings).

You'll recall that I went with the .9 spring (I'm 200) instead of the stronger .95 or 1.0s that most guys have used and that Racetech recommends. That's because those recommendations are oriented more for a race setup, not street. But who races VFRs? Anyway, I'm happy with my .9s.

Anyway, call 'em. The guy I spoke with when selecting a setup for the F3 swapout was really helpful and full of info....forgot his name.

hey trace,

when did i pm you?

i have a terrible problem with forgetting information including people i ask questions. however i appreciate the help

i will be running superhawk innards, which is functionally identical to F3 stuff (preload and rebound adjustments) but with Showa 3 port valves.

what i really want to do is just set this front end up so that it will work with the .90 springs i have (the ONLY springs i have) and over the winter i will be swapping to R1 stuff. i had not planned on buying any racetech stuff for these forks, and i figured i would try to get by on a budget, hence the asking for shim stacks. im kinda leery about calling them about it when i have no intention of buying there stuff.

anyway, its late and i cant remember what i was trying to say, so ill get back to ya'll tomorrow haha

goodnight everyone (except you crazy third shifters. i cant see how u do it!)

Archived