Suspension Settings For Edinburgh's Cobbles

chewa

I've set preload on my Gen 4 750FT so that with me on board (79kilos) sag is about 35F 30R (mm). The bike handles really well like this - it's about 4 clicks up (clockwise)from the median setting on the rear and 2 turns down (anticlockwise) at the front.

The bike rides and tracks beautifully, bit I noticed that when cornering (gently)on the cobbled streets of the New Town district in Edinburgh, while the front was fine, the back felt like it was skipping a bit.

Am I right in thinking the compression damping (small screw at the bottom side of the damper - near the centre stand) may need to be turned away from full hard?

Is it just a matter of trial and error?

thanks

John

• Member Contributer
I've set preload on my Gen 4 750FT so that with me on board (79kilos) sag is about 35F 30R (mm). The bike handles really well like this - it's about 4 clicks up (clockwise)from the median setting on the rear and 2 turns down (anticlockwise) at the front.

The bike rides and tracks beautifully, bit I noticed that when cornering (gently)on the cobbled streets of the New Town district in Edinburgh, while the front was fine, the back felt like it was skipping a bit.

Am I right in thinking the compression damping (small screw at the bottom side of the damper - near the centre stand) may need to be turned away from full hard?

Is it just a matter of trial and error?

thanks

John

John,

yep, trail and error, especially away from full hard.

New Town cobbles? try the Royal mile, down Victoria Street (do a stoppie in from of Preservation Hall), down hard and up Dean Village to check if the suspension bottoms out

Alternatively, try Knockhill..... :thumbsup:

or East Fortune :beer:

Hmmm - Living over the bridge I'm closer to Knockhill, but I've never done a stoppie (at least not on a motorbike!) and the only time I got my knee down was on my Funduro after being smacked by a van! +1.gif

If you have your adjuster on full hard, then I would suggest your rebound action is too slow for small bumps close together. By having a slow action the shock cannot extend back to its full length in time to be ready for the next bump, thus giving a harsh ride. I know the shock has "S" & "H" on it, but it is really "fast" and "slow" in terms of the effect on the rebound action.

Try going back towards the other end of the scale, and test the result. On an OEM shock these adjsutments have minimal impact compared to a quality unit such as an Ohlins, WP etc. If you find you cannot get the desired result, then shock modification by a suspension tuner with new internals, or replacement to aftermarket unit might be necessary.

Archived