Broken Mirror Fix-it

Guest Jonchilds

Guest Jonchilds

I've had a bit of bad luck lately with the bike ending up on it's side several times (grass, sandy concrete) whilst stationary and I've forked out a fair bit on replacing mirrors at $130/side.

Most commonly, the stalk will snap off where it meets the fairing mount/hinge, which makes a temporary (or permanent if you like it) fix reasonably easy and simple, and I'll detail it as best I can.

1. Curse profusely, pick up bike and park somewhere it's not gonna fall over again. Salvage broken mirror and have a few drinks.

2. Remove large bolt which secures the mirror to the mounting bracket with a 6mm allen key (in your toolkit)

3. Catch 4 washers and broken piece of the stalk as you remove the bolt.

4. Clamp mirror in vice and file/grind back two faces on the top/bottom of the stalk.

5. (optional) File back the broken edge.

6. Centre punch and drill a 3mm pilot hole in the stalk.

7. Bore out pilot hole with 7mm bit and tidy up burrs.

8. Attempt to fit mirror back in mounting bracket using 2 of the 4 washers.

9. File to size (use however many washers you need)

10. A quick touch of gloss acrylic paint will finish the job nicely if you're so inclined.

Takes ~2 beers to do with breaks/finding bits (that's 30min-1hr) and you only lose 0.5-1.0 inches off your mirror stalk, and will keep the cops off your back if you're hanging out for a ride, especially if it takes 2-3 days for a new one to arrive.

I'll post some pics when I figure out how to attach them. (How do I attach them?)

Edited by Jonchilds

• 1 year later...
Guest operaGUY

sorry to bring back an old thread, but I just got an 03 VFR and broke one of the mirrors right away. I followed this instruction, and now its fixed!! no need to buy$$ new mirrors.

thanks, Jonchilds gets a thumbs up :fing02: :idea3:

• Member Contributer
In my case the mirror glass also broke, so I was stuck. Otherwise I would have used this, or a similar, method.

I'd have sold you my stalk w/ good glass for the cost of shipping.

• Member Contributer
In my case the mirror glass also broke, so I was stuck. Otherwise I would have used this, or a similar, method.

Oh, c'mon. There is always an easy and quick fix;

redneck-mirror-repair-14.jpg

Guest WilliamM

I just had one of my stems break 2 weeks ago. Cost me $70US to replace. Really made me mad that I have a perfectly good mirror but had to buy the thing. Next time (um yeah there should not be a next time) I will try this.

I've had a bit of bad luck lately with the bike ending up on it's side several times (grass, sandy concrete) whilst stationary and I've forked out a fair bit on replacing mirrors at $130/side.

Most commonly, the stalk will snap off where it meets the fairing mount/hinge, which makes a temporary (or permanent if you like it) fix reasonably easy and simple, and I'll detail it as best I can.

1. Curse profusely, pick up bike and park somewhere it's not gonna fall over again. Salvage broken mirror and have a few drinks.

2. Remove large bolt which secures the mirror to the mounting bracket with a 6mm allen key (in your toolkit)

3. Catch 4 washers and broken piece of the stalk as you remove the bolt.

4. Clamp mirror in vice and file/grind back two faces on the top/bottom of the stalk.

5. (optional) File back the broken edge.

6. Centre punch and drill a 3mm pilot hole in the stalk.

7. Bore out pilot hole with 7mm bit and tidy up burrs.

8. Attempt to fit mirror back in mounting bracket using 2 of the 4 washers.

9. File to size (use however many washers you need)

10. A quick touch of gloss acrylic paint will finish the job nicely if you're so inclined.

Takes ~2 beers to do with breaks/finding bits (that's 30min-1hr) and you only lose 0.5-1.0 inches off your mirror stalk, and will keep the cops off your back if you're hanging out for a ride, especially if it takes 2-3 days for a new one to arrive.

I'll post some pics when I figure out how to attach them. (How do I attach them?)

• 1 year later...

Any way to actually fix the seperated bracket to the stem? I was thinking of drilling a hole up the stem and in to the piece of stem left in the bracket and then glueing/welding it together with a solid bolt or similar into the drilled hole. Problem is that the piece of stem left in the bracket may be too short.

Great idea though. Wish I knew this when I dropped my baby and destroyed the mirror. Thinking of getting my buddy to make me crash bobbins.