At What Temperature Does The Fan Motor Switch Activate?

Guest cbxfixer

Guest cbxfixer

My '00 is running far too hot - a new development - my guess is the mechanical thermostat. But before I start pulling the tank and air box off - I plan on checking the fan switches as indicated in the Service Manual (Section 19-p17).

When stopped hot the fans or fan do run - can't tell if both are since I wear earplugs on every ride. And can someone tell me factually if the fans operate while the bike is underway at say 60 mph? I would think that even at 110 F ambient the forced air would be sufficient - but what do I know.

Since I cycle through a number of bikes, my seven year old VFR800Fi has less than 20K miles on the clock. Last week I pulled the side fairings to switch from D.I. and Redline's Water Wetter to Honda's premixed coolant (even the International R1 forum generally agrees it is the best coolant unless you are banned from its use on the track).

To my surprise (or not), most every radiator fluid hose clamp that was accessable was just over finger tight. Never leaked coolant - but I tightened them to a few Nm for good measure lest they fell off. There is no torque spec I could find in the VFR800Fi Service Manual for the radiator hose clamps - and there is none listed in my late model Yamaha YZF-R1 or FJR Service Manuals either. Could someone tell me what these clamps should be torqued to? Or do owners and sercice technicians just "wing it" (I bet I know the answer to the latter).

Thanks in advance for your help - I want to ride the VFR more often than I have and enjoy its versitility.

John

standard.jpg

• Member Contributer

My fan kicks in about 220-222F. Btw, the temperature has been around 90F in Florida and my bike on the highway runs about 200F-ish.

Archived