Very Unique Tire Question

Guest Pete McCrary

Confidence is what it is all about when it comes to going fast - confidence in your equipment, your skills, your reactions, etc.

I did two things over the last year that made a dramatic increase in my confidence and riding ability:

1. I lost 30 lbs. Couldn't believe what a difference that made.

2. Had Lasik eye surgery. Can't say for a fact that my vision is any more precise than before but what I did gain was accurate peripheral vision.

One word about the weight loss you need to be aware off. When you lose a lot of weight as I did, make sure you get new leathers that fit your smaller body. I went out in my old leathers after my weight loss and I didn't feel "connected" to the bike. It took me a while to realize I was actually moving around inside my leathers. I got smaller leathers that hug my body better and my body movements are now more connected to the bike.

It's a bike/rider package we're hustling around guys and gals. Don't worry about just improving one them - work on both of them to be a better rider.

• Member Contributer
The Pilot Powers simply would never get hot enough to offer the grip that the Diablos could offer after 5 miles of hard riding.

How do you know the PPs were not hot enough? Did you measure the temperature and compare it to the prescribed operating temperature from Michelin? I won't argue that you felt the PPs didn't seem like they had as much grip as the Diablos, I just don't know how you decided that it was a heat problem. The two brands of tire have a slightly different feel which may account for some of the difference you felt. Also, the sizes of the tires are different enough that without a geometry change the handling would be noticeably affected.

Hypothetically, and assuming all other conditions the same, if the tires were not "hot enough", then either there is a defect in the tires you have, or you had them over inflated. Pilot Powers and Diablos have very similar grip levels; too similar to say one grips very well and the other does not.

I think it may really be getting down to a matter of personal preference. I had ridden the PP's for several miles and though they gripped good, they just didn't give me the "feeling" I was looking for. I flick the bike over fairly quick in a corner (went to the Keith Code school) and I would find myself having to "pick the bike back up" a lot of times in the corners.

I'm going to try the Diablos. If they don't have the feel I'm looking for, I probably will go back to the PP's. I still have them. I have my own tire changing equipment so it's no big deal to change tires. And let's face it, is there an easier bike in the world to change tires on than a VFR?

Some people like blondes, some people like brunettes.

Let's face it - there is no "wonder" tire out there. Everybody has their own preferences. I think it gets down to whatever tire gives you the most confidence. I have learned this though - there is a correct tire for a given situation and condition.

Maybe it's the Luddite in me coming out. The older I get, the more I hate cell phones, computer software up-grades that really don't accomplish anything, 4 remote controls for my TV, etc.

Speaking of tire pressures, what would be your recommendation for a 250# rider riding the twisties hard?

I think it may really be getting down to a matter of personal preference. I had ridden the PP's for several miles and though they gripped good, they just didn't give me the "feeling" I was looking for. I flick the bike over fairly quick in a corner (went to the Keith Code school) and I would find myself having to "pick the bike back up" a lot of times in the corners.

I'm going to try the Diablos. If they don't have the feel I'm looking for, I probably will go back to the PP's. I still have them. I have my own tire changing equipment so it's no big deal to change tires. And let's face it, is there an easier bike in the world to change tires on than a VFR?

Some people like blondes, some people like brunettes.

Let's face it - there is no "wonder" tire out there. Everybody has their own preferences. I think it gets down to whatever tire gives you the most confidence. I have learned this though - there is a correct tire for a given situation and condition.

Maybe it's the Luddite in me coming out. The older I get, the more I hate cell phones, computer software up-grades that really don't accomplish anything, 4 remote controls for my TV, etc.

Speaking of tire pressures, what would be your recommendation for a 250# rider riding the twisties hard?

from your description above on the PP's, you really need to try the metzeler m3. i sort of feel the same thing with the PP's. M3's fit much nicer wiith 'U' shape instead of PP's 'V' shape. oh, i am 250 as well and run 36/42 on m3's with no issues at all.

• Member Contributer
Probably not, if you are worried about, next time pull over to the shoulder before the turn, take your glove off and feel the tires to see how hot they are.

Well, I have just done it. I have Pirelli Diablo Stradas on the bike. It was 78F/26C in the morning.

After riding 3.5 miles/5.6km straight and having only 3 intersection turns my rear tire temperatures were 108F/42C in the middle and 97F/36C an inch away from the edge.

After riding additional 24 miles/38.4km on the interstate my rear tire temperatures were 115F/46C in the middle and 108F/42C an inch away from the edge. It was about 84F/29C at my destination.

So, do these numbers help us? :goofy:

• Member Contributer

The feel of a tire is important, but what you're describing sounds a lot more like altered geometry resulting from the different tires. Check the diameters of the tires, and change your geometry accordingly. Keeping all other factors the same is the only way to accurately evaluate any change to the bike, including tires.

Have you abandoned the "not hot enough" theory?

One thing is for sure, the VFR is probably going to heat tires much easier than your KTM due to the weight difference. Also, I just recently found a Ducati site that told how to make sure your tires were heating up enough without being too much. It said to track the cold pressure compared to hot pressure and if it was within a certain % it was in the right heat range. Unfortunately I don't remember the %age range or how I found the site. I think I found it through webbikeworld.com.

Mike

I found the site it was www.mad-ducati.com/Articles/TirePressures.html

Don't remember where I got the temp range numbers. Somewhere on the net I'm sure.

No, I'm not ready to abandon the "not hot enough" theory. I know comparing the Duke to the VFR is like comparing apples to oranges, but like I said, just for grins, I'm going to try the Diablos. If I don't like them as well as the PP's, I'll put the PP's back on. The only way to know for sure is to try both and see which one I like the best. It may very well be that it is the V shape vs. the U shape that gives me an uncomfortable feel.

As I said before, luckily changing the tires on a VFR is relatively easy thank goodness. A Saturday afternoon at the most.

• Member Contributer

What I find most interesting is that you haven't even acknowledged what is perhaps the most important factor, which is the altered geometry due to the tire change.

Archived