Replacement Rr And Wiring Plug, Where To Get?

Guest eleman

Guest eleman

I took my bike apart tonight and did the Electrosport flowchart to find out where my problem is. I got intermittent readings with the bike running and checking the voltage return. Sometimes it was above 13.5 and then the next time it was in the 11s. I traced the chart to check the wiring to the RR and found the red wire to the RR was brittle and about half the tiny wires that are spun were broken. This would seem to explain the irregular readings. I am going to replace the RR as it appears to be the original and doesn't have any cooling fins.

I also need to replace the plug that goes into the side of the RR. First I can't seem to get it out of the RR. Is there a trick or is it just melted together? Second, where can I get a plug with the wiring tail attached so I can splice in a new plug? Thanks in advance for any help!

I might be able to help you out. I am making harnesses to beef up the wires on the VFR. I haven't yet made one for a 97, but with a good picture of the plug, and some measurements, I could custom make you one. I would need pictured of the R/R plug, as well as the Stator plug(the one with 3 yellow wires) as I think the R/R plug incorporates those wires.

As you noticed, the OEM wires are simply too small. Your new harness would then have a direct run to the battery, which would be fused, as well as a new run to the Stator. I could also send a plug with some wires to reconnect to the original harness if needed/wanted.

Make sure the locking tab is depressed, so you can slide it out, but it could be melted together.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer
I took my bike apart tonight and did the Electrosport flowchart to find out where my problem is. I got intermittent readings with the bike running and checking the voltage return. Sometimes it was above 13.5 and then the next time it was in the 11s. I traced the chart to check the wiring to the RR and found the red wire to the RR was brittle and about half the tiny wires that are spun were broken. This would seem to explain the irregular readings. I am going to replace the RR as it appears to be the original and doesn't have any cooling fins.

I also need to replace the plug that goes into the side of the RR. First I can't seem to get it out of the RR. Is there a trick or is it just melted together? Second, where can I get a plug with the wiring tail attached so I can splice in a new plug? Thanks in advance for any help!

Try VINTAGE CONNECTORS. I just ordered OEM connectors and 2,3,4 wire plastic connector blocks. Great service

Mac Morgan

mmorgan@devonmb.com

Archived