Rhino Linings

Guest Chief Nobody

Question

Guest Chief Nobody

Considering how many people drop their bikes and scratch up the lower fairing... I was wondering if anyone had thought about taking the fairing off, going to the local Rhino Linings shop and having ***part*** of it sprayed... the part that is most likely to come into contact with the ground.

Is this a good idea or should this thread be deleted and never mentioned again?

Some pros I can think of...

1. Next time you drop, you can just wash off the dust

2. Assuming the fairing isn't cracked... if its scuffed up too much, you can just go back and get a quick shot of Rhino Lining (or whichever rubber coat you prefer)

3. Custom colors are available

4. You can spray almost any pattern.. I probably would do a forward slant following the same angle as the seat

Some cons..

1. Adds weight

2. Cost?

3. Might have to wash more often to keep it 'lookin shiney' since the rough texture probably will hold on to more dirt compared to smooth fiberglass.

Whaddya dudes think?

CN

10 answers to this question

I'm planing to do it this winter. Tank and rear seat plastic will be done in flat black. Main and side cowls in Rhino or Line-x. I just can't find anyone locally who will do it. I think I'll do an olive green. and the front fender in flat black, or black rhino if i can.

i'm a bit worried about visibility though. weight shouldn't be an issue.

hit the search engine and there are some photos of track backs done in rattle can and roll on liner stuff.

my wife loves the idea and can't wait for me to do it.

i'm also considering buying a compressor and trying it myself... eek!

if anyone knows a good cheap paint shop in the hudson valley, please pm me!

• Member Contributer
Considering how many people drop their bikes and scratch up the lower fairing... I was wondering if anyone had thought about taking the fairing off, going to the local Rhino Linings shop and having ***part*** of it sprayed... the part that is most likely to come into contact with the ground.

Is this a good idea or should this thread be deleted and never mentioned again?

Whaddya dudes think?

CN

Don't forget to do the painted part of the saddlebags.

• Member Contributer

Except for weight and the fact that it looks like truck bedliner, I don't see a problem with it. I'm thinking of doing my cbr600rr lowers like that to give my RCBVFR a more 4gen look. Or I just might spray 'em with black plastic bumper spray can paint which isn't as thick/heavy but probably not as durable either.

• Member Contributer

I have a red truck that is very close in color to my red VFR. When I got the truck I had a rhino liner bedliner sprayed in. I got a red that matched the truck, it looked great. By the end of the summer, the sun had bleached it to a sort of tan color. If I were doing this again I'd get the black. Just a data point if you rhino liner your bike, the VFR red isn't going to stay red for long.

• Member Contributer

Cleaning and keeping it shiny on the bike shouldn't be too difficult. After a wash (scrub if needed - no worries about scratching it), just use a little WD-40 on a rag and it'll be shiny, not to mention probably easier to clean next go around. I got Line-X in the bed of my truck. Was a bit cheaper than a Rhino and they sprayed it on thicker that Rhino would've.

• Member Contributer
I have a red truck that is very close in color to my red VFR. When I got the truck I had a rhino liner bedliner sprayed in. I got a red that matched the truck, it looked great. By the end of the summer, the sun had bleached it to a sort of tan color. If I were doing this again I'd get the black. Just a data point if you rhino liner your bike, the VFR red isn't going to stay red for long.

+1.gif If black doesn't work for you, I wouldn't do it!!

Cleaning and keeping it shiny on the bike shouldn't be too difficult. After a wash (scrub if needed - no worries about scratching it), just use a little WD-40 on a rag and it'll be shiny, not to mention probably easier to clean next go around. I got Line-X in the bed of my truck. Was a bit cheaper than a Rhino and they sprayed it on thicker that Rhino would've.

Rhino Liner makes a spray and wipe stuff to make it look nice and shiny too. Made for the liner as it won't make it really slippery, unless you want it that way.

Guest 767fixer

my opinion is you'll have no resale value. if i see a bike like that when i am shopping i think "wrecked". to me it just plain looks tacky. but it is just my opinion, because i think the asphalt painted bikes look the same like the were in primer. if you like it, go for it and dont worry about others opinions

A friend did his saddlebag lids in black Rhino. Looks great! I am thinking of having my Ducati track bike done in all black Rhino. I have an extra set of bodywork for the street.

• Member Contributer

For the track, maybe. But never for the street.

If the only reason for doing it is to save on paint bills when you go down, than it is totally not worth it. Rhino lining will not keep plastics from breaking and that's the first thing they do most of the time.

So, you will end up riding an ugly looking bike for no reason at all.

I would rather get some frame sliders (if you haven't already) and concentrate on safe riding in order to avoid dropping the bike in the first place.

Archived