3rd Gen Keeps Blowing Fuses.

Guest slyder1217

Guest slyder1217

Ok, I did a quick search and didn't really find anything matching my problem. A couple weeks ago, the wife an I went for a short ride. Sitting in traffic the bike completely dies. No electrical at all. After inspection, the battery was completely corroded and honestly I knew it needed to be replaced and just hadn't done it yet. Anyway, I get the bike back to my place and tear into it the next day. New battery fully charged still nothing. Found blown 30A fuse just in front of battery. I replaced said fuse and bike now starts and idles and revs just fine. All is well I thought.

Got bike out today for short ride to work and about halfway there, same thing again only this time I was at speed. I pulled off and again replaced that fuse (I had some spares just in case) but this time as soon as I reconnected the harness the fuse blew. Any ideas, wiring harness bad maybe? R/R, Stator? All of the above? Electrics are beyond my expertise at this point. Thanks!

i am only guessing as i only know 6th gen, but that fuse should only be going to starter circuit....short in starter motor perhaps? maybe a short in the switch? get out your meter!

• Member Contributer

Mine ended up being the license plate light I added. It's just a steel body where the bulb goes in and it was touching the sub-frame on bumps and ground itself out and blow the 30 amp main fuse.

Archived