Hard Luggage Option

Guest travelnutt

Guest travelnutt

I purchased my 2004 VFR new with the optional side hardbags; with the intent to eventually buy the top mount trunk system. The OEM top case & mounting bracket are pretty expensive if you have checked it out, so I've opted to buy the OEM bracket with an aftermarket case.

I installed the side bag rails previously with an awfull amount of twisting and sweating to get the thing to come together... eventually it did after some bruised nuckles :pissed: . The rails look fine, the bags attach/detach easily and I'm happy with the set up.

Now... with the rise in the CAN$ its actually cheaper to buy the rail for the top mount... so I did. Yesterday I went thinking remove the passenger hand rails, clip on the new bracket, tighten 4 bolts and badda-bing-badda-boom, done! Nadda chance... it doesn't look like these two systems are designed to be incorporated together very well. The instructions do not show an option of mounting them together. I I've found nothing on the web about it. I'll re-attempt today sober :beer:

But, has anyone installed both systems together and had similar problems? Any advice on installation, pics...?

Guest Jeepist

Hey T-N, first welcome aboard!

Second, I don't have pics, but can say that the sidecase rails do remain on the bottom and the topcase rack is supposed to go on top of them, with the built-in rubber surrounds closing up the gap in the subframe fairing. But I did this like three years ago, so I don't recall anything tricky except bending the topcase rack enough to fit over the bolts. You can tell Honda itself must not make the rack because the fit is terrible.

I just installed new bag racks last night, took me about an hour taking my time. The key is to leave everything LOOSE until you have all the bolts started, then start tightening things down. Start in the back(4 small), then the pass. peg mount bolts, then the bag rack bolts on the ends of the peg mounts, then the top 4 bolts.

this is definitely the way to go, everything fits together just right but only if you leave all the fasteners loose until the very end. i made the mistake of tightening as a i went, doesn't work. you'll have to adjust things at the end before everything is in its place.

The key is to leave everything LOOSE until you have all the bolts started, then start tightening things down.

this is definitely the way to go, everything fits together just right but only if you leave all the fasteners loose until the very end. i made the mistake of tightening as a i went, doesn't work. you'll have to adjust things at the end before everything is in its place.
The key is to leave everything LOOSE until you have all the bolts started, then start tightening things down.

And not just the new parts, loosen the passenger peg mounting bolts too, you won't believe how much easier it gets!

Guest travelnutt

OK.. second attempt worked like a charm. Not the easiest assembly with one person... I recommend a budy/wife/neigborhood hottie help. I think it looks fine on the bike, not as ugly as I thought. If I get time, I'll post some picks of the final product. Keeping it all loose before final assembly does the trick.

One step closer to my dream of shipping to Europe and doing some serious traveling. Thanks for the advice!

• Member Contributer
I purchased my 2004 VFR new with the optional side hardbags; with the intent to eventually buy the top mount trunk system. The OEM top case & mounting bracket are pretty expensive if you have checked it out, so I've opted to buy the OEM bracket with an aftermarket case.

I installed the side bag rails previously with an awfull amount of twisting and sweating to get the thing to come together... eventually it did after some bruised nuckles :squid: . The rails look fine, the bags attach/detach easily and I'm happy with the set up.

Now... with the rise in the CAN$ its actually cheaper to buy the rail for the top mount... so I did. Yesterday I went thinking remove the passenger hand rails, clip on the new bracket, tighten 4 bolts and badda-bing-badda-boom, done! Nadda chance... it doesn't look like these two systems are designed to be incorporated together very well. The instructions do not show an option of mounting them together. I I've found nothing on the web about it. I'll re-attempt today sober :beer:

But, has anyone installed both systems together and had similar problems? Any advice on installation, pics...?

Yes, I did install both the Honda OEM side bags and OEM trunk. You lose the grab rails with the trunk rack - it mounts directly to the side racks and has a coating on it for the grip. Maybe trying to keep the grab rails is your problem? I found the trunk rack not too difficult - uses the same bolts that hold on the side racks.

Grant