Need To Mix New Rear Tire With Old Front

Piperdown

I need a new rear tire before I leave on a long (2000 km) trip one week from today. I'm riding Avon Azaro ST's right now but the dealers are saying it will be 7-10 days to get one of those in so I'll have left by then. The front has a good way to go but the rear is on the wear bars so I want to replacement the rear and not the front (if possible).

Where I need help: so what rear tire would you recommend that I can mix with the Azaro ST front? One dealer recommended Michelin Pilot Roads but after reading the reviews on these here I don't like the sound of them (even though they are super cheap $214 CDN). Any suggestions?

• Member Contributer

When I got my Z6s they strongly recommended not running a Z6 rear with any other tire because the tread pattern will suck in the wet. The Z6 rear has a solid center portion with no grooves crossing it and the Z6 front is supposedly specially designed to compensate for that in wet conditions.

Just what I've heard, but it makes a bit of sense when you look at them.

I'm sure a lot of other tires will work fine for what you're talking about.

continental attack maybe? i think they are similar tires as far as how they grip/ride - and they've had great reviews.

crazy eh? i dropped my tires off yesterday here too. the quickest turn around is a week. obviously a lot more riders in calgary now. i picked up the pilot roads, long lasting and i've done some research here and there - as long as you're not hanging off the side of the bike or pushing the tires to their max i think they'd serve the purpose.

baileyrock goes for the pilot power, but here in alberta i think they make little or no sense as the best curvy roads are hours away.

good luck with your tires.

I need a new rear tire before I leave on a long (2000 km) trip one week from today. I'm riding Avon Azaro ST's right now but the dealers are saying it will be 7-10 days to get one of those in so I'll have left by then. The front has a good way to go but the rear is on the wear bars so I want to replacement the rear and not the front (if possible).

Where I need help: so what rear tire would you recommend that I can mix with the Azaro ST front? One dealer recommended Michelin Pilot Roads but after reading the reviews on these here I don't like the sound of them (even though they are super cheap $214 CDN). Any suggestions?

• Member Contributer

I have ridden with that combination myself. No real problems whatsoever. The only thing I didn't like about the Pilot Road is it has a flatter profile than I prefer but I did not notice any handling or grip problems, just not as confidence inspiring as the Avons. I have also run the Azaro front with a Conti Road Attack, also no problems except the Conti only lasted 4000 miles and it was slippery in the wet.

I often buy tires in matched pairs to take advantage of free shipping from swmoto but I I rarely ever put them on at the same time. I am currently running a Pilot Road front with an Avon Storm rear.

Thank you all for your quick response (once again why this is the best darn forum on the web). I just got a quote from Blackfoot (you can't hear the distain in my voice but its there) and they've actually got a great deal on Pilot Powers (if the guy actually knew what he was talking about) for $204 +$60 mounting.

Based on your responses the PP's will likely be a reasonable match but won't have the greatest wear. I think I want the comfort of the extra grip over the Pilot Roads though as I'm doing some major twisties through BC for this next trip. Then hopefully the Storms will be back in stock (saying August sometime right now) and I'll put one of those on down the road as the reviews have been excellent.

Superfunkomatic: where was that week's wait for tire swap? Not Blackfoot hopefully?

Cheers. :thumbsup:

blackfoot is minimum 48 hours turn around if you take the wheels off yourself and drop them off.

if you drop off your bike the next appointment is august 8th!

i took mine to bow cycle, they say 'about a week' or stand in line at bow cycle or blackfoot saturday morning for 'first come first served'.

bow cycle the rear tire was 234 plus 30 mounting/balancing. basically the same price.

revoluzione wasn't open until 10 am yesterday, couldn't wait for them to open.

Thank you all for your quick response (once again why this is the best darn forum on the web). I just got a quote from Blackfoot (you can't hear the distain in my voice but its there) and they've actually got a great deal on Pilot Powers (if the guy actually knew what he was talking about) for $204 +$60 mounting.

Based on your responses the PP's will likely be a reasonable match but won't have the greatest wear. I think I want the comfort of the extra grip over the Pilot Roads though as I'm doing some major twisties through BC for this next trip. Then hopefully the Storms will be back in stock (saying August sometime right now) and I'll put one of those on down the road as the reviews have been excellent.

Superfunkomatic: where was that week's wait for tire swap? Not Blackfoot hopefully?

Cheers. :thumbsup:

man, after seeing the demand just for tire changes, it makes me think - hey, this would be a really great small business here.

motorcycle tire sales and installation.

what irks me is that a set of pilot roads in the US is 230 (about 270 CDN), for the set! yet, here in canada they are mysteriously 230 for a single rear tire, and about 165 for the front. something wrong with that picture.

good luck on the trip.

The dealers certainly have us by the danglers in Calgary.

• Member Contributer

Mount your own tires. $200 worth of equipment, and it is very easy to do. :thumbsup:

I'd like to hear more about this equipment. If I can invest in it for about $200 I'd be ALLLLL over it being I've got a few friends locally as well who ride(2 of which are in need of new rear tires wink.gif ). What about balancing, surely that'd take a good chunk of change would it not??

sorry, not trying to hijack the thread but...

check out the harbor freight tire changer (under 200 bucks), or the nomar tire changer (500-1000 bucks).

both look like they'd do the trick, although the nomar one looks like a sturdier unit.

they both have balancing equipment too. hispanicslammer has a thread in the maintenance section on how to do it with regular automotive jack stands and a make-shift axle.

I'd like to hear more about this equipment. If I can invest in it for about $200 I'd be ALLLLL over it being I've got a few friends locally as well who ride(2 of which are in need of new rear tires wink.gif ). What about balancing, surely that'd take a good chunk of change would it not??

man, after seeing the demand just for tire changes, it makes me think - hey, this would be a really great small business here.

motorcycle tire sales and installation.

what irks me is that a set of pilot roads in the US is 230 (about 270 CDN), for the set! yet, here in canada they are mysteriously 230 for a single rear tire, and about 165 for the front. something wrong with that picture.

good luck on the trip.

Yeah with the exchange at about $1.05/USD pretty much everything is cheaper State-side even with shipping and duties. Given more time I probably would have gone that route but then you have to get the stealership to prioritize your tire change (one I talked to wouldn't even do it if you didn't buy the tire there).

If you buy the gear to change tires, you can have my business for sure. I just want to save on the rubber.

gallery_9696_3187_43105.jpg

Image2.jpg

This is what the "Bowtie Tour" is going to look like at least from the Calgary side. Some guys coming from Vancouver as well so that creates the other side of the bowtie. 2026 km or 1 day 5 hours drive according to Google. Good thing I got that new rear.

Thanks again to all those who provided input here. I'll definitely have some impressions to relate once I get back.

Archived