Mounting Tires In The Philadelphia Pa Area

wbabik

• Member Contributer

Alright. I'm facing some important decisions.

I need to install my new tires and I have several options:

1. Take my tires to a Honda stealership and pay $70 per tire for installation and balancing.

2. Take my tires to a private shop and pay $50 per tire for installation and balancing.

3. Buy the Harbor freight setup and No-Mar tools and start changing my tires at home. guesstimate $400

4. Buy the full blown No-Mar setup. mucho dinero!!, but it is made in the USA and I would not have to modify the HF setup to avoid scratching rims. guesstimate $800

Anyone in the Philadelphia area can step me through changing my own tires, or help out with the decision at hand? I need to get my new Michelines onto the rims so I can get the bike back on the road. Currently needs to the tires to pass inspection.

Has anyone used the No-Mar setup and the HF setup?

Is it really as easy to use as their videos make it look?

If I get my own tire changing setup, does it really help you make riding buddies?

I'd appreciate any help anyone can provide.

thanks,

Will

• Member Contributer

No responses, eh.

I guess I didn't really expect any, but it was good to get my ideas down in list form.

I went with ordering the No-mar mount/demount bar, a few of their spoon bars, the large cone balancer kit, some valves, and stick on weights, lube, etc. They came in 2 or 3 days after I ordered them. The harbor freight tire changer and motorcycle attachment were ordered the day before the no mar and I have yet any notification from HF at all. I guess you get what you pay for as well with customer service. I'm almost wishing I would have just bought the whole kit from No-mar at this point. Ah well. maybe I'll do that in the future after I 'F' up a set of rims, but for now I'm attempting to do this correctly, but a little on the cheap.

Next steps:

#1 Build a basic balancer out of some tube stock and some shielded bearings so I can use the all thread and No-mar cones for balancing.

#2 Wait for the HF equipment to show up at the door.

#3 Change my tires when it arrives.

If you still have no verification from Harbor Freight, you may want to consider building your own set-up.

I considered the HF set-up till I saw it in their Norristown store. It's pretty flimsey and you need the motorcycle adapter for another $50, and it's not the most well built piece either.

I put together my "changing station" for about $20 using an old auto rim and some thread stock. I use it with a good set of tire irons and have no trouble spooning on new rubber.

If you are ever in the Perkasie area, stop on in to see it. I'll be installing a new set of Conti Attacks in a week or so.

PM me if you want the link to the home made changer build instructions.

• Member Contributer

I've been using the car rim stand and tire iron method for a year. it works fine, but its a bit of work. I've had my eye on the no mar setup for quite some time. I ordered it last week and got it yesterday. I unpacked it tonight but haven't put it together yet as I am getting ready to go down to the gap tomorrow.

Anyhow, this thing is HEAVY DUTY. No wonder it weighs 75lbs for shipping. I can see why it has a lifetime gaurantee. Nothing on this thing is going to break. A bit pricey, but I like a good tool to do the job. I won't have to change a tire with it for a few weeks, so I'll will post a write up / review when I do.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the response and information.

The HF changer and moto attachment was shipped on the 22nd and I should get it on the 30th. so as of right now it looks like i'm locked in for the $100 expense.

The no-mar tools I got look bulletproof. I'm sure someone somewhere could break them, but they should be fine for me.

I have some rubber material that I'm planning on lining the HF changer contact points with, and if this thing gets me a few sets of tire changes and then breaks, well, i guess it was meant to be that I order the No-mar. If I wasn't in between jobs right now, then I'd probably have just ordered the NoMar and then be able to change my own tires for the rest of my life.

I'll post some updates on how my HF setup comes through. I've found several guides here and online on various tire changing setups. If I had a rim lying around, I'd probably have gone that route, and the all thread is a great idea to really tie the Motorcycle rim down for changing out the tire. mmmm.....

Now to build the balancer. I've got it all ironed out, and the Abec 7 bearings are coming out of a hardly used pair of skates. at least they'll be used for something useful now.

thanks guys. I'll be posting more in a week or so. then hopefully putting some more miles on the new pilot roads that are going on.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I didn't see your post earlier. You coulda come on over and I'd a hooked you up. I just did em on my RC a few weeks back. Give a holla next time, you know where I live.

I got the balancer already too. I have a pal in the area who can handle your single side wheel.

-fish

Archived