99 Vfr - Where To Get Ohlins

awacs

• Member Contributer

Compound question. Azmotorsports is gone? Takes me to another web site.

Anyway, after 52k miles it's probably time to replace the oem shock. I'm thinking Ohlins, but I'm sure I could be a happy Penske guy. Either way, I want my business to go to good people.

Recommendations, where to buy? Online would be great.

Thanks,

Aram

Penske is good too, I bought a used Ohlins of a CBR F3 for $300 added a new spring and installed it on my 02 VFR by adding a spacer. New will be $700 or more and if you don't do the forks at the same time they will feel like total crap. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
Guest Viper6
Got mine from Dan Kyle - not the cheapest but good service and free spring swap for my weight.

www.kyleusa.com

I am ordering mine from Dan at Kyle racing... $780 was the best I could talk him down from $840 start... will do it tomorrow unless I see a cheaper way to get a highquality shock. Still not sure how to get the front end upgraded from stock... I guess I was thinking if I can upgrade the shock, maybe that was the worst of my problems (but I fully expect to not be completely happy until I upgrade the front).

-John

I am ordering mine from Dan at Kyle racing... $780 was the best I could talk him down from $840 start... will do it tomorrow unless I see a cheaper way to get a highquality shock. Still not sure how to get the front end upgraded from stock... I guess I was thinking if I can upgrade the shock, maybe that was the worst of my problems (but I fully expect to not be completely happy until I upgrade the front).

-John

G'day John,

Be prepared for your Ohlins rear to show up how bad the front suspension is. In the front I had racetech 0.95 springs (granted they were about 4years ~60k km old), custom valving, 10wt oil. At higher speeds (110mph+) on sweepers the front felt like it was a pogo, wallowing all over the place.

I cured this by getting radical on the front, but maybe with newer springs and a different air gap I could've overcome this.

cheers

AB

Guest Viper6

-John

G'day John,

Be prepared for your Ohlins rear to show up how bad the front suspension is. In the front I had racetech 0.95 springs (granted they were about 4years ~60k km old), custom valving, 10wt oil. At higher speeds (110mph+) on sweepers the front felt like it was a pogo, wallowing all over the place.

I cured this by getting radical on the front, but maybe with newer springs and a different air gap I could've overcome this.

cheers

AB

HA! Actually, I put a full set of Ohlins on my BMW and THAT showed me how shitty the VFR stock is... I wouldn't even ride it... hoping the Ohlins will improve things. I expect the front to suck... checked out the Racetech front stuff and looks like less than $300 and a weekend and I shold be better up from stock? We shall see... and I'll let you guys know the progress...

I plan to try the front as is with the new Ohlins... then upgrade to Racetech...

Guest Viper6
GMD Computrak has the mid level Penske for $715

What is a mid level Penske? I can do without the remote preload adjuster from the Ohlins... what does the $715 Penske have?

The mid level Penske has adjustable rebound, height, preload, and the remote reservoir with compression adjust. The lowest level(the one I bought) has no remote reservoir or compression adjust.

Archived