5th Gen Fi Light

radar

• Member Contributer

So I am having a few problems, FI light had come on, so I checked it and I get a slow continuous flash, one two three , 1.5 second flash, repeating. I reset the system and the FI light stayed off for a couple days and then it came on again with the same problem.

Now if I have read the codes properly this is a faulty ECM or a short somewhere in the service check connector wire.

So my question is this, if it's a short circuit, is there a common place to start looking for the problem and if it's the ECM is there a way a verifying it's no good before spending the money on replacing it, lastly if I do have to replace the ECM is that the same as a Power Commander.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Member Contributer

Sorry I can't be of much help, but there should be some procedure in the service manual for testing the ECM, but may require special Honda test harnesses and such.

The ECM is not the same as a Power Commander (a lot more expensive I would guess).

• Member Contributer

I know you mentioned you read the codes properly, but according to my anual a faulty ecm and/or short circuit in check connector code does not flash at all. If it were as such, you would have no codes, either the FI light stays on, or does not appear at all. Does your bike start and run ok? Could you explain again the pattern of flashes. They can be pretty tricky to sort, if in multiples.

• Member Contributer
I know you mentioned you read the codes properly, but according to my anual a faulty ecm and/or short circuit in check connector code does not flash at all. If it were as such, you would have no codes, either the FI light stays on, or does not appear at all. Does your bike start and run ok? Could you explain again the pattern of flashes. They can be pretty tricky to sort, if in multiples.

Continueing to light lists as, short circuit in the malfunction indicator wire or service check wire, and or faulty ECM.

I am getting a slow continuous flashing, a 1.5 sec flash with about a 2.5 sec pause in between.

• Member Contributer

Call me stupid but I understand the flashes to be:

1 long flash 1.5 secs

Then a 2.5 sec gap

Then another 1.5 sec flash. ?

This then continues over and over again?

If this be the case, the 2.5 sec gap is a break between codes, and if you continue getting just the one solid 1.5 sec flash.... that would mean a fault code of 10 - Faulty atmospheric pressure sensor - engine runs poorly at altitude. Does that make sense?

Is there some way you can record the flashes and upload? I don't know how you can be getting faulty ECM/short in check wire fault, with the FI light flashing.

I'm assuming your bike starts and runs ok?

• Member Contributer

Okay, using my trusty Kelloggs Rice crispy timer, I timed 10 blinks in 40 seconds, light off for 2.5 seconds, light on for 1.5 seconds repeating, and this is the stupid part, the seems to be running great.

• Member Contributer

From what I'm looking at in the manual, this pattern is showing a faulty atmospheric pressure sensor.

Pop and the seat, and clean up the connector etc see what happens.

barosensor.jpg

I hope this works, those darn FI lights. Why couldn't they just flash a number up and be done with it.

• Member Contributer

Well I took all the electrical apart back there and cleaned it and then put it back together with electrical grease, I've only put on a couple hundred K since then but the light hasn't come on. Hopefully "knock on wood" that's going to cure the problem, thanks for the help.

A second big Kudos to JoeW for sitting on the phone with me trying to figure out the right Part#s when my local dealer didn't have the knowledge to figure it out. :goofy:

Archived