Silverstar Bulbs

NVR2L8

• Member Contributer

Sorry for posting this question without first searching the forums, but I've been spending a lot of time at work and thus can't spend much time surfing the web.

Okay...so both of my low beam headlights died within two days of each other, so I stopped by Autozone and picked up a set of H4 Silverstar bulbs. As far as I can tell these bulbs are a direct drop-in replacement for the stock bulbs. I also picked up a set of H7's for the highbeams, but something tells me that a standard Silverstar H-7 won't work unless it's modified? The one I bought only has one tab, so do I need an adapter ring?

Guest 767fixer
Sorry for posting this question without first searching the forums, but I've been spending a lot of time at work and thus can't spend much time surfing the web.

Okay...so both of my low beam headlights died within two days of each other, so I stopped by Autozone and picked up a set of H4 Silverstar bulbs. As far as I can tell these bulbs are a direct drop-in replacement for the stock bulbs. I also picked up a set of H7's for the highbeams, but something tells me that a standard Silverstar H-7 won't work unless it's modified? The one I bought only has one tab, so do I need an adapter ring?

mine were direct drop in

yep drop-in, worth it too. are we h7 or h4's? i forget. make sure you check your battery voltage to make sure that isn't playing a part in bulbs blowing. i would think somethings up if they both went basically together.

• Member Contributer

Okay...that's what I thought but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

BTW, I did check the voltage and that doesn't appear to be the cause--been riding over some rough road due to construction so I think that might have done in the older bulbs. Hope the new Silverstars fare better at $19.99 a bulb.

Also, I thought the 6th Gen's used H4 for lowbeam and H7 for highbeam? I'm going off of memory so somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

Lastly. it sure doesn't look very easy to R&R the bulbs though...can it be done with minimal cussing or should I just pull the dang front fairing?

I am also looking to add better light/visibility with new H4/H7 bulbs. I checked my pdf manual and it looks fairly straightforward.

It appears there is no need to remove the body work; there is a black plastic dust cap for each bulb, then a clip and finally the bulb holder. Everything appears accesible from the cockpit. Have not done the install yet so this is just "book smart" stuff and reality may be a bit different.

Update: Installed Sylvania Silverstar H4 bulbs for the VFR low beams today... Tight fit to get my hands in there but it helped to turn the front wheel. No fairing removal, Most time was spent trying to get the first connector to release. Now with bright Silverstar lights, bright red Honda bodywork and clearly audible V4 power through my Remus exhaust there is no excuse for someone not to "see" me.

Also, I thought the 6th Gen's used H4 for lowbeam and H7 for highbeam? I'm going off of memory so somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

Lastly. it sure doesn't look very easy to R&R the bulbs though...can it be done with minimal cussing or should I just pull the dang front fairing?

You are correct about the H4 and H7.

No need to pull the fairing, but yes, there will be a bit of cussing involved - at least there was when I did mine! :beer:

Archived