I'm Afraid I've Damaged My Electrical System...

Guest Zerosum

Guest Zerosum

Let me preface by saying that I'm normally not this dumb...

My 4th Gen VFR has been having charging system issues, idling at sub-12.0 voltages, etc. I put in a new Yuasa battery, which helped a little, but it's still idling at between 11.9 and 12.2 volts. Not acceptable. So I decided to go ahead with an R/R replacement. I was able to score a R/R off a Yamaha R1 on eBay. My intent was to follow this proceedure on this site.

Unlike this guy, there was no scorching on any of the connectors to the original R/R. So rather than cut the wires and solder on new spade connectors like he did, I simply (carefully) sliced the spade connectors out of the stock harness. (the VFR socket won't connect to the R1 R/R). The VFR spade connectors could then slide right on to the individual terminals on the R1 R/R. So far so smart, right?

Here's where I'm afraid that I've done something stupid. You see, I keep my bikes at my buddies garage up the street, since I have no garage. So here I was on the floor of his little detached garage... no electricty, and daylight fading... when I realized that I didn't know which R/R terminal was the (+) and which was the (-). I didn't feel like walking 5 blocks back to my house to look at that page, so I decided to try it one way, and if it didn't work, I'd switch the + and - and it would surely work. I was racing daylight. It seemed smart at the time.

So I tried it in one configuration, reconnected the battery, and got nothin'. Bike was dead. So I swapped the (+) and (-) connections. Still dead. This is where I became afraid that I'd done something bad to my VFR. I pulled the new R1 R/R and re-connected the stock R/R. Still nothing. I then measured the voltage beween the (+) lead and battery ground... 0 volts. So now the bike is dead and I don't know what's wrong.

Specifically, I'm hoping one of you smart electrical gurus can tell me, what are the possible effects of reversing the polarity on your R/R? Did I blow a fuse or something? Did I fry the R/R? Did I fry my bike? Help!

Yeah,check the fuses. Had mine swapped the first time I put my r1 r/r in.Just swapped it and replaced the fuse,no damage done. Do your battery and charging system a favor and fully charge the battery before firing it up. Hope all works ok for you. By the way not sure which fuse was blown. Think it was for the ecm (5th gen)

Yeah,check the fuses. Had mine swapped the first time I put my r1 r/r in.Just swapped it and replaced the fuse,no damage done. Do your battery and charging system a favor and fully charge the battery before firing it up. Hope all works ok for you.

Oh. Yeah. The main 30A fuse is at the battery. I should have known that. I opened the fuse box up front looking for it. Duh. So how do you get at this 30A fuse? It's easily accesible if I pull the battery, right?

Thanks for the help!

Sure enough, the main 30A fuse was blown. I replaced it, put the bike back together, and started it up. 14.0 Volts! Woo Hoo! The R1 R/R is outputting a full 2.0 volts higher than the stock R/R. Awesome! Hopefully this is the end of my electrical gremilins!

At idle, it'll dip down to about 12.8 volts, but when reved to 4K RPM or higher, the voltage quickly shoots to 14.0 to 14.2. Does that sound right to you guys?

Thanks for the help!

Rob

• Member Contributer

Rob,

Word of advise:

Keep the above story to yourself if you go for that job interview with the Bomb Squad ok?

:P

Archived