Mismatched Tires

Guest Car54

Guest Car54

Hey All,

I have bought a used '03 VFR. The dealer I bought this from had put on a Qualifer D209 (120/70) so it would pass inspection. On the rear there is a Shinko Advance 005 (190/50) with about 60% of tread life left. I've been doing some research on these tires and from what I read; the front tire is a great tire and quite sticky and the rear is a little hard, and appeals to drag community. My question is, should I consider swapping the rear out for a D209, or should I stick it out? I will most likely make it through the season on that Shinko.

Thanks in advance,

Craig

• Member Contributer
Hey All,

I have bought a used '03 VFR. The dealer I bought this from had put on a Qualifer D209 (120/70) so it would pass inspection. On the rear there is a Shinko Advance 005 (190/50) with about 60% of tread life left. I've been doing some research on these tires and from what I read; the front tire is a great tire and quite sticky and the rear is a little hard, and appeals to drag community. My question is, should I consider swapping the rear out for a D209, or should I stick it out? I will most likely make it through the season on that Shinko.

Thanks in advance,

Craig

Shinko Stealth Semi Slick is a dimple design that's advertised for production drag racing, and serious

sport riding... not the Advance 005... I'd test the tire before passing judgement... like take for a ride and

see if the rear steps out when you feed the VFR the berries...

st003_rear_200px.jpg

Hey All,

Thanks in advance,

Craig

The stock rear tyre size for a VFR is a 180/55 while the 190 may look good , it will screw up the handling since the tyre is made for a wider rim ( changes the profile ) , I would replace it sooner rather than later , the bike will be slower to turn in with the oversize tyre . The 209 is a Track Tyre so sill not last long anyhow , Buy a set of tyres to suit your riding style

Sport Tour

Bridgestone BT21's (new just out - dual compound hard in the middle soft on edges )

Michelin pilot Road2 ( new as above )

Pirelli Dialbo strada

Sport

Michelin Pilot powers

Bridgestone BT14 or BT15

Pirelli Diablo Corsa

Track

D209

BT002

?????

Cheers

Thanks everyone for your advice(s). I am going to try to get a new Qualifier at the proper size for the rear. I'm finding prices of about $130. Any suggestions or recommendations on online tire stores? Should I just buy local so no one will hassle me when trying to get it mounted and balanced?

Archived