Suspension Story

massvfr

• Member Contributer

Ok...this is a long story and there are some questions thrown in at the end but it may bore the veterans of this forum so be warned (and don't feel compelled to respond). BTW, this board is awesome and while I've lurked way, way more than I've contributed, I've learned that there is an amazingly dedicated group of individuals who have really helped tons of newbs.

I bought my used 2003 VFR in October of '06 and have put about 2000 miles on since that time. It came with a recent service, Convertibars, heated grips, nearly new 208's and a ZG screen. I'm 6'4", 220lbs and came to the VFR with about 6,000 mi. (and a year of riding) on a KLR650 (big single) "sit up and beg" riding position. Was shopping for a new ride and test rode the VFR and bought it.

I've had mixed emotions about whether the bike was a good fit for me over the past 2,000 mi. Always loved the silky smoothness of tranny, the power of the 800 and V4 and the solid ride on the slab (the KLR was horrible there). Didn't always feel comfortable (leg room) but didn't care too much and figure I'd get used to it. What really got me was the way I was having to correct myself all the time while cornering. The wide bars and long travel of the KLR allowed me to flick and lean like crazy. I kept scouring the forum, reading techniques and practicing. Elbows in, light pressure on my hands, look through the turn. Eventually, I felt smoother but never seemed to get much lean before having to correct myself. Also, I was avoiding roads I knew had pot holes because my teeth (and arss) were taking a beating.

Winter maintenance time and changed fork oil and set sag along with a host of other things. My friend helped me set sag and as the rest of the story wiill reveal later, friend wasn't very good at measuring!

I commute 20+ miles (each way) everyday I possibly can. So about a week ago, I had to bring a big router (woodworking tool) to work with me and I strapped it on the tail of my bike (all said, about 15-20 lbs). Riding in that morning, the bike felt settled in corners, I didn't slide into the tank as much and I felt like i was handling the sweepers without much correction. Got to work, scoured the forum, grabbed a couple of guys and went to measure sag. Front had about 3/8th in., rear about 3/4in! The rear shock (non ABS) was on third setting so I moved it to 2 and got to about 1 1/4in. Front I moved to stock line and got about 1 1/8" sag. That night I rode home in the rain and didn't feel great (with little experience in rain and a new feel to the bike). The next morning was great though, sweepers felt better, although steering wasn't as quick, I felt I could lean more.

Over the weekend I took time to "dial in the suspension" even more but by trying to feel what would be best. 2 things I wanted...balance between quick steering and smoothness to the sweepers and few s curves I get on my commute BUT also more smoothness over the pot holes and crummy roads I encounter on a daily basis.

I ended up softening the front below the stock marked line by about 1/4" and there it was, just about everything I wanted. I'm way over in curves, the pot holes are less bothersome and I feel planted in the corners without any corrections. I haven't bottomed out yet and I'm definitely faster in the corners and am getting used to the less "quick" steering. I haven't measured sag yet and plan on riding a bit more until I'm not getting what I want or something seems wrong.

Do you think my springs are after market? I thought Honda made this bike for 150 lb person and most guys my size have to get .9-1.1 spring rate up front (according to Racetech and Sonic). I imagine since I'm now starting to corner more aggressively that I'll have to re-evaluate the settings when something doesn't feel right. What are some of those signs...will the front feel a little wobbly, or a bit like it wants to tuck under? Will the rear let go?

This post is WAAAY to long and I still don't think I've captured all the suspensions thoughts that have drifted in and out of my brain, and I know I'm just beginning to understand the simplest concepts of suspension. While I enjoy that I have to experience something to understand it (rather than simply read it), I want to verify what I'm doing with people who have experience.

As always, thanks :thumbsup: .

• Member Contributer

I think the stock vtec front end is pretty durn good for what it isn't (adjustable). The springs have never seemed as wimpy as other stock honda's I've had.

As for the sit up and beg riding position, it's very doable on the VTEC without fairing clearance problems. You'll need to reroute all the cables and lines tho'.

gallery_611_2287_97522.jpg

SuperBike Bars Gold renthals with off-road mounts.

Sounds to me like you're on track. One of the keys to suspension adjustment is to do just a little at a time, and evaluate.

If you haven't already recorded your current settings (which you seem to be happy with) do so. Then you have a baseline for further adjustment.

Your static sag settings seem on the money, a little short at the front which could indicate heavier springs as you suspect. If you were running out of adjustment before you got to that point then you'd probably need different springs.

It may also have a different oil blend in the forks IF the springs have been changed.

I'm trying to learn more about this topic currently, thanks for sharing! I would like to know what stock settings are? Is there a chart for baseline, weight load vs. pre-load settings? Where are you at on your rear rebound?

• Member Contributer

I'm surprised that you'd have had that little front sag at your weight. At 200 lb, I could not get less than something like 1.5" (I forget) of sag on my '02 with stock springs and spacers. It is possible that you have stock springs with additional preload spacers, or you may have aftermarket springs. It's easy enough to take them out to check. Just adding preload spacers on top of the stock springs to get the correct sag is not a good solution, since the spring rate is still too soft.

• Member Contributer

I fully assembled the forks this winter. I can't exactly remember what length the spacers were but they seemed to be about 2". Nothing appeared to be other than stock but I don't have anything to compare. The rear shock is definietely stock.

Car54, both stock settings are refered to in the owners manual. IIRC, the rear is 1st click and the fronts are the second scribed line and the triple clamp is 43mm from top nut (I'd have to check the service manual for that exactly though).

As far as rebound, I haven't gotten to that yet but that won't be hard and I'm curious to find out what the differences feel like!

BTW, make sure you check out this thread when your trying to learn about suspension. I found it very helpful.

Archived