Ipod Remotes

house

I was talking with Cornercarver yesterday and promised him that I would send info on Ipod remotes. After i did, I thought some of you might be interested in this info, so here it is. These are for the ipods that have dock connectors

Check theses out...

This one is pimp... but the buttons may be hard to deal with on a bike..

ijet2way2_lrg.jpg

This one would probably be just the thing... price is right too. buttons look east to get to and it would fit on you clutch reservoir

ijetdock_lrg.jpg

This one is water resistant... not sure of the size

iezclick_pic.jpg

This one is nice... buttons might be a pain with gloves

IPRFDOC.jpg

This one might be cool if you took it off the armband

IPNRFS.jpg

This one is cool too

IPNRFC.jpg

This one is waterproof too, but might be too big

FUL1_F8Z076.jpg

And finally, this is the one I used forever (till the battery died.) I loved this one and just haven't taken the time to get a new one.

prod_airclickdock_sub01b.jpg

• Member Contributer

I too use the airclick remote(last one pictured) It works great,the only drawback is that I havent found a case that I can use with my Ipod with the receiver plugged into it.

• Member Contributer

1.jpg

Here is a pic to show it's size compared to the Nano.

I purchased and received this one in time for my vacation in northern California.

It got a solid weeks worth of use every day, including use in the rain.

I works extremely well. The buttons are just the right size for use with gloves.

No problems in the rain either.

The strap is for use on the forearm.

I removed the strap and had the unit velcro'd to the top of my tank bag.

Great unit. Highly recommended.

Here is a pic of the Monster remote mounted with double sided tape to the reservoir cover. It's easy access and your hand stays close to the grip. You can still remove the cap to add fluid. I removed the outer rubber cover so that it would fit on here, it probably isn't water proof now, but it should be as water resistant as the rest of the bike.

Will

gallery_10239_2715_107983.jpg

Monster Ipod remote.jpg

Here is a pic of the Monster remote mounted with double sided tape to the reservoir cover. It's easy access and your hand stays close to the grip. You can still remove the cap to add fluid. I removed the outer rubber cover so that it would fit on here, it probably isn't water proof now, but it should be as water resistant as the rest of the bike.

Will

gallery_10239_2715_107983.jpg

Monster Ipod remote.jpg

Nice... Pazzo's too. A man with similar tastes.

The way I look at it is that sometimes you need to adjust your tunes, and you want to keep that expensive Ipod tucked away where it's safe (I dropped a shuffle doing about 50... it did not survive.) I don't mind trashing a 35$ remote every so often; it's worth that for the convienance and safety of the Ipod. BTW, all of these remotes are RF based and some have a range of 150 ft,

I bought the Airclick remote and had it mounted on the clutch resevoir....but may be going to a different lever/master cylinder setup that is not as tall as the factory one, so I may have to find a new spot.

Nice... Pazzo's too. A man with similar tastes.

The way I look at it is that sometimes you need to adjust your tunes, and you want to keep that expensive Ipod tucked away where it's safe (I dropped a shuffle doing about 50... it did not survive.) I don't mind trashing a 35$ remote every so often; it's worth that for the convienance and safety of the Ipod. BTW, all of these remotes are RF based and some have a range of 150 ft,

Hey thanks, the shorty Pazzo's rock :thumbsup:

Aside from the convenience of switching songs/adjusting volume, an important benefit is the ability to easily pause the music when you need to hear. Like if you get pulled over or when you’re at a stop light and a hot chick is trying to give you her number wink.gif

Guest trekuk

I need to get me one of those, even it it means surrendering to Apple and getting an iPod.. I had my player on "play all" shuffled, and just having passed a few cars on a wonderfully twisty road, the damn thing switched over to some French lesson I had loaded on for some reason. Talk about distracting! Another idiot highlight was when it switched to a late chapter of an audio book I was half-way through, pulling over wasn't a good option right there (cars again), so I was singing loudly LA-LA-LA to myself as I carved down the mountain trying not to hear who the murderer really was (it turned out of course, the damn butler was the culprit!). And being pulled over or addressed on the PA, yep been there, I just played it cool and nodded having no idea what was being said, rather than fiddling with my gloves, jacket and player and blur out a retarded "WHAT?" half a minute later...

Oh well, enough of my mp3 related incidents, I checked out the monster remote, on Amazon there are two reviews saying the volume control has a tendency to go to max or min on a simple press, that would certainly not be helpful! Any experience on similar problems? Pricey too at $60.. hmm..

Also, related but probably answered many times here, are the diskdrive based ipods any good for riding or should I get a flash-based one? I assume the vibration can be an issue..

Guest matt_c

I was using the airclick also, (the last one pictured in the first post), but it flew off the bike somewhere and I havent replaced it yet.

Thanks for posting these up.

Oh well, enough of my mp3 related incidents, I checked out the monster remote, on Amazon there are two reviews saying the volume control has a tendency to go to max or min on a simple press, that would certainly not be helpful! Any experience on similar problems? Pricey too at $60.. hmm..

Also, related but probably answered many times here, are the diskdrive based ipods any good for riding or should I get a flash-based one? I assume the vibration can be an issue..

I had the forward button stick once. I think it's from pushing too hard. Hasn't been much of an issue.

I have an old 3rd gen hard drive based ipod and it works great. They have no trouble on the VFR. I don't think I would use it dirtbiking or snowboarding though since a wipeout would possibly damage it. You can pick up a used ipod on ebay for cheap.

Okay, the Monster remote does have an issue. It seems to be getting electrical interference from the bike. It works prefect with the bike off or idling, but at riding rpm its getting quirky. Sometimes a button won’t work, sometimes it sticks (full volume or fast forward) or if it sticks on pause it shuts down the ipod and then you can’t play it without getting it out and turning it back on. I will call Monster to find out if there is anything they can do.

Guest trekuk
Okay, the Monster remote does have an issue.

Haha, brilliant timing! I just ordered one last night, complete with a ghey-looking Ipod Nano at considerable expense (at least a set of tires), and I am even prepared to infect my perfectly fine PC with iTunes. And it will not work? :pissed:

Not nagging on you, Notslow, thanks for sharing your insight and keep us posted on what Monster says. :thumbsup: I would think the placement of both the remote and the Ipod could matter in terms of interference, have you tried experimenting with that? I hope my setup will function, if not it's going back to Apple or on Ebay, and I just put my regular trusty Sandisk in the tankbag (I'm sure I can at least use some functions through the map window) and let the cables flabber in the wind..

EDIT: I also ordered this remote from ebay. Anyone tried these $5 dollar ones? ebay link

• Member Contributer

Evidently, according to a local shop...iJet is coming out with a newer model soon, one which has a remote that is similar to that which you use to open a car...or something like that. Similarly priced, and update to be better. According to an unnamed local shop....

• 2 weeks later...
Okay, the Monster remote does have an issue.

Haha, brilliant timing! I just ordered one last night, complete with a ghey-looking Ipod Nano at considerable expense (at least a set of tires), and I am even prepared to infect my perfectly fine PC with iTunes. And it will not work? :unsure:

Not nagging on you, Notslow, thanks for sharing your insight and keep us posted on what Monster says. :thumbsup: I would think the placement of both the remote and the Ipod could matter in terms of interference, have you tried experimenting with that? I hope my setup will function, if not it's going back to Apple or on Ebay, and I just put my regular trusty Sandisk in the tankbag (I'm sure I can at least use some functions through the map window) and let the cables flabber in the wind..

EDIT: I also ordered this remote from ebay. Anyone tried these $5 dollar ones? ebay link

I talked to Monster and they said they have not heard of any problems like this. The service rep said to take it back to the store and exchange it because it might just be defective. Have you tried yours yet? I am wondering if I just got unlucky or if this is a probelm with all of them.

Guest trekuk
I talked to Monster and they said they have not heard of any problems like this. The service rep said to take it back to the store and exchange it because it might just be defective. Have you tried yours yet? I am wondering if I just got unlucky or if this is a probelm with all of them.

Yes I put my monster to use this weekend, and I am far from pleased with the result. The main problem is that the damn thing only works about 50% of the time, even when testing at my desk, the forward function worked about 90% of the time, but the backward/restart button only 30% of the time. With gloves on I have to be really fast to release after a click, or else it will interpret it as a "long press" and scan forward instead of next song. The next playlist function seems virtually impossible to use while on the bike and with gloves, I can barely do it with two naked fingers sitting on my desk (roughly 70% success rate, 30% of the time I hit one of two buttons a millisecond too early and then the retarded remote only cares about that press).. I did not experience any particular problems with bike interference, it appears to be equally dysfunctional and useless both on and off the bike and regardless of speed. Sometimes everything is dandy, then suddenly nothing for a stretch. Monster can burn in hell for all I care.

ps! my $5 remote off ebay works just fine, 100% success rate on clicks. Problem is it's ugly, not waterproof and worst of all it blocks the mini-jack on the ipod and offers poor audio quality on its own output.

Archived