To Patch Or Replace

SGVridgerunner

• Member Contributer

I went riding yesterday and noticed something shiny on my rear tire this morning. I've got a 2" long screw in my tire, but it's oriented sideways, not straight in so I don't know if it's completely punctured. The tire is holding air which is why I haven't pulled it out yet.

My problem is that this is a brand new Pilot Power with less than 1,000 miles on it. I really don't want to scrap it. The hole diameter looks to be less than 1/8". Should I get it patched? I'm not a huge fan of plugging bike tires, but does anyone has positive experience with this?

What about Slime?

Thanks,

Dave

I went riding yesterday and noticed something shiny on my rear tire this morning. I've got a 2" long screw in my tire, but it's oriented sideways, not straight in so I don't know if it's completely punctured. The tire is holding air which is why I haven't pulled it out yet.

My problem is that this is a brand new Pilot Power with less than 1,000 miles on it. I really don't want to scrap it. The hole diameter looks to be less than 1/8". Should I get it patched? I'm not a huge fan of plugging bike tires, but does anyone has positive experience with this?

What about Slime?

Thanks,

Dave

I got a tire puncture in Wichita Falls, TX on my way to Nashville a couple years back. Plugged the tire, made the trip home and was able to ride another 1000 miles or so before replacing the tire. However, the general opinion I hear is that plugs are temporary ... the tire should be replaced. A tire blow out because a plug didn't hold is likely to be a heck of a lot more expensive than replacing the tire.

• Member Contributer

Pull the screw.

If the puncture is superfisial, then forget about it.

If it is deep, but still does not leak or if it does leak, pull the tire and have the shop install a patch from the inside. This will reinforce the weak spot.

If you feel that this tire is unsafe for use, ship it to me for propper disposal :blink: I will report on its condition at the end of the season.

Archived