Need Info: On Time Delayed Relay Switch

tinyminds

So, after blowing one of my HID bulbs, and buying a new set of bulbs, I was considering putting the lights ground on a manual switch that I could flip to keep the headlights off so they don't come on when I turn the key on, go off when I press start button, then come back on after bike is started. I don't like the idea of all the on/off action with warmup times on HID's. So, I was looking at putting some type of automatic switch that wouldn't engage until after I pressed the button, but would reset and disable connection when current flow stopped. Didn't have much luck finding anything so Teaque gave me the idea about seeing if I can find some kinda time delay relay switch. Great idea, never really gave it any thought but worth a shot.

My question, has anyone had any experience using Time Delayed Relays? I've seen a few on a 12v circuit, but most are on a 10 amp circuit, which the HID's pull 23 amps ( for both ) on warmup, then run a constant 12 amps ( for both ). If I really really really had to, I could piggy back relays and put the time delay relay output, to the trigger input on a 30 amp relay, but i would rather not have wires running every which way, just for this. Some of the time delays are rather neat though allowing adjustable from 1 second to 1000 seconds, some of you might want to consider this for your gadgets also. So, anyone used a Time Delay Relays before? Results? Thanks.

Edit: I think my bulb blowing was caused by my 16.2 volts of charging, eventhough the ballast does a voltage conversion, it doesn't regulate voltage. Not sure what really caused it to blow, got the charging thing fixed, time will tell.

So, I was looking at putting some type of automatic switch that wouldn't engage until after I pressed the button, but would reset and disable connection when current flow stopped. Didn't have much luck finding anything so Teaque gave me the idea about seeing if I can find some kinda time delay relay switch. Great idea, never really gave it any thought but worth a shot.

You need to use the Kawasaki Concours setup. Head light off until after 1st starter press.

My question, has anyone had any experience using Time Delayed Relays? I've seen a few on a 12v circuit, but most are on a 10 amp circuit, which the HID's pull 23 amps ( for both ) on warmup, then run a constant 12 amps ( for both ). If I really really really had to, I could piggy back relays and put the time delay relay output, to the trigger input on a 30 amp relay, but i would rather not have wires running every which way, just for this. Some of the time delays are rather neat though allowing adjustable from 1 second to 1000 seconds, some of you might want to consider this for your gadgets also. So, anyone used a Time Delay Relays before? Results? Thanks.

As a former automation/robotics integrator, I've got a bit of experiance with 'em.

I would just use a one shot relay with a 5 sec delay off the solinoid power and let the key cycle power to reset the latch.

Wire for 2 button control with the start button as trigger and a keyed source for timer power and relay hold.

Most good timers are pricey. Cheap ones are just that. (Allen Bradley are best)

I would do something like this:

WiringDiagram.jpg

Basically, you want to wire in a relay that prevents your headlights from turning on. But, when you push the starter button, it closes a second relay which stays closed even after the starter is released. The second relay closes the first relay that was interrupting the power to the headlights.

I'm by no means an electrician, electrical engineer, or anything like that. Therefore, I'm sure they are a many more ways out there to do this better. This is just what I would do if I wanted to do this myself.

Hmm, good idea. I think I'll give that a shot just for the heck of it. I think I will actually attempt to use the factory headlight relay behind the nose piece as my power feed relay to the lights like they are now, but just switch that relay like you showed above. Never though about looping a hot feed and blocking w/ diode. I wasn't sure the start button sent a + feed, but it does. For some reason I was thinking it, like the kickstand, clutch switch, etc, was a negative feed. If I didn't use the factory relay, the HID's would engine while the engine is cranking, which I would rather avoid, but the factory setup sends a positive feed from starter button to headlight relay, braking connection when 12v is applied. Hmm after I think about it, I can't use the factory headlight relay then because that relay is a ' normally closed ' switch, where i'm working with ' normal open ' switchs. Guess I would have to actually use to relays for it. Hmm... thinking thinking.

Oh yeah, one more thing I just noticed in my diagram above. I didn't put another relay between the battery and the relay behind the starter switch. If you don't cut the power when the iginiton is off, you'll kill the battery because the relay will be stuck closed.

Do car headlights shut off when you start them like a bikes does?

Not that I've ever seen. When I start my car with the headlights on, they get really dim though.

Archived