Icon Standard Pants

Daniel Paul

• Member Contributer

I just got my new Icon Standard pants in the other day (3 pairs actually), that i purchased from The Rider Superstore on eBay. They are a heavy weight denim pant with added protection in the knees.

standard_blue_lg.jpg

Here are some specs:

-Low-key protection built into a fashion-forward design

-Quality 14 oz. denim chassis

-Reinforced aramid knees for abrasion resistance

-Triple-needle stitching on critical seams

-Relaxed fit

-Tall sizes available

-Retail ~$70

Fitment - The fit is first rate. They are not too baggy like the Icon Hooligan pants, but have a rather nice relaxed fit. Sizing seems to be spot on... no belts needed!

Look/Feel - The look and feel of these pants are better than the normal run of the mill jeans that I buy, which means I can wear them out and still be rather fashionable.

Build - All I have to say is "triple stitched 14 oz. denim"... these pants may outlive me!

Protection - Not too sure about this one... hopefully I'll never have to find out how well they will hold up on the asphalt. From the looks of things my knees will be okay... but that doesn't say much if I'm sliding on my butt or hips.

Odds and Ends - The pockets are a pain to get into... especially if you're wearing gloves... on the other hand... nothing will fall out of your pockets while you are riding! wink.gif There is no ventilation... and with the 14 oz. denim I'm sure things will get a bit warm in the summer (I'll live).

Overall I love them... Although they may not please some of the track day enthusiast (as they shouldn't... DUH!) they are great for everyday riding.

(I'm sure I may of missed something.. if you have any questions, just ask! wink.gif

• 10 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Yeah, i tried a pair of these on. They felt nice. Good heavy duty jeans. I opted for the hooligans though simply for the venting and looser fit. The Hooligans stay nice and cool. Went swing dancing in them and did not sweat one bit. On a ride, if they do start to get a bit hot, just have to stand up a bit. The crotch and side vents work well. Leave me wondering how well they'll hold up in a crash though. I don't think they'll get torn up, but not much cushion. They're good hot summer riding pants though.

• Member Contributer

I had 2 pairs of the ICON jeans....great looks, great fit, and comfort...but my Draggin' jeans have outlasted them by far. Got about 3 years out of the ICONS of daily wear. I have my two "original" Draggins that are 5 years old worn daily, and 2 pair that are 2 years old that still look like new........guess I'll have to stay with the Draggin' Jeans........... :thumbsup:

• 8 months later...
I had 2 pairs of the ICON jeans....great looks, great fit, and comfort...but my Draggin' jeans have outlasted them by far. Got about 3 years out of the ICONS of daily wear. I have my two "original" Draggins that are 5 years old worn daily, and 2 pair that are 2 years old that still look like new........guess I'll have to stay with the Draggin' Jeans........... :thumbsup:

Picked up a pair for a Labor Day trip and found they fit very well. Not too baggy with a heavier denim than casual dress jeans. Found them comfortable.

For casual rides I switch between the Icon Standard (the lightest weight I go for protection) and a pair of Cortech jeans,

The Cortechs have an added layer of suede that covers the butt and knees and removable knee pad inserts.

A pair of Joe Rocket water tight Balistics stand by for winter. Warm and Padded.

Not sure if I lifted this article from VFRD but may have to try these next summer:

http://www.canyonchasers.net/reviews/clothing/carhartt.php

For casual rides I switch between the Icon Standard (the lightest weight I go for protection) and a pair of Cortech jeans,

The Cortechs have an added layer of suede that covers the butt and knees and removable knee pad inserts.

A pair of Joe Rocket water tight Balistics stand by for winter. Warm and Padded.

Not sure if I lifted this article from VFRD but may have to try these next summer:

http://www.canyonchasers.net/reviews/clothing/carhartt.php

For winter riding, how about reg jeans under Carhart canvas coveralls?

• Member Contributer
+1.gif On the positives for these jeans. Managed to find 2 prs on clearance at the local Cycle Gear in my size. No complaints at all. The only thing I'd like to see in them would be a layer of the aramid fabric on the backside (like Skuuter's Draggin Jeans), but would recommend the Icon Standards and buy again. :warranty:

Archived